Chapter 11

James' POV

The plan is set.

The entire gryffindor quidditch team, including me, is confident that we will win the game. Winning the game is essential to my plan. When the game is over and everybody is celebrating in the common room, I will find her and ask her out. There is no way she will be able to say no to me in front of all those people.

Im pretty sure she likes me. Pretty sure she will say yes to the date. All she has to do is say yes.

The Quidditch match

"The gryffindor team is up by twenty points! If Potter catches the snitch before the slytherins can score any more points, they will win it all!" The announcer yelled

The crowds were cheering and clapping louder than ever before as I made a sharp dive toward the ground. The snitch. It was right there. It is was so close. All I had to do was reach out and grab it.

Thump.

The bludger chipped my shoulder.

"Think of Lily. All you have to do is get the snitch and she can be yours. Ignore the pain. Lily. Lily. Lily." I urged myself in my thoughts.

Finally that little golden ball was right in front of me. I stretched out to grab it but my focus was momentarily drawn to the slytherin seeker coming up close behind me, an angry glare etched onto his face. In the fleeting moment that I take to glance at him, the snitch skirts out of my reach.

"For Lily." It's a mantra in my head now. "For Lily. For Lily."

I reach out and finally grab that little golden ball. The entire stadium is immediately enveloped in cheers as it becomes apparent that gryffindor has won. I land and hoards of people instantly surround me. My team. My house. My school.

There is only a single person I am looking for in the huge crowd, though. The person that I won this for.

I search and I search but I just can't find her and my heart drops in defeat. I allow myself to be picked up by the others, hoping that their abundant happiness will sink into my mysterious disappointment.

She didn't even show up to watch me play.