Chapter 14

Snape's POV

I never smile anymore. Without Lily in my life, everything seems much more somber and dreary. Nothing is as vibrant as it used to be. Not to me.

I never hang out with my already small number of friends anymore either. Why should I? They don't compare. I go from class to class, blending in with the other students in silence. The expression on my face contrasting from the cheerfulness of those around me.

Ever since Lily admitted her "love" to James in the great hall that day in front of the entire school, it seems that everybody except for me has been merrier than ever. It makes me sick.

As I walk down the long, crowded corridor on my way to the potions classroom, I allow myself to be engulfed by the melancholy spirit that is pleading to take over. I frown and pull my books closer to my chest as laughing students jostle past me. I scoff at them as they pass.

That's when my eyes land on her. Her bright red hair more vibrant and cheerful than ever, flouncing about in any which way it please. Her bright green eyes glowing merrily. Her cheeks crinkling and she laughs a big, happy laugh. The sight of her smiling face almost makes me smile.

But before the joyful emotion can cross my face, my eyes land on him and my face is immediately set back into a stoney glare. I march past the two of them. As I pass them I hear Lily's melodious laugh drift effortlessly through the air. I slow as I pass, taking in the beautiful sound that I had taken granted for all of those years.

That is when James snickers. My eyes snap instinctively in his direction and I glare at him, my natural reaction kicking in. That is when I notice that jeans his obnoxious friends are snickering at me. They all stand together pointing and laughing. Lily seems conflicted for a moment then laughs along with the rest of them. She betrayed me.

And that is when I snap. I drop my books, abandoning them on the flirt where I stand. I thunder toward the floppy haired boy standing next to Lily that instigated my anger. Before anybody can react, I pull my fist into the air and thrust it at his face. As my fist makes contact with his face, a crunch resounds from the boy.

Everybody is immediately snapped into silence, nobody able to believe the fact that I had just punched James Potter. He clutches at his nose in pain and bends his body over, groaning. It seems like the entire room gasped as one.

Then, out of nowhere, the long-haired Black boy, Sirius, charges at me and he punched me back just as I had just done to his best mate. I crumble to the floor in pain.

Professor Slughorn barrels through the room, calling for order. He rushes our aid. Both of us are moaning and groaning. I notice Sirius shaking out his hand and wincing. A trickle of blood is tearing at his knuckles.

The professor looks at the three of us and the injuries that we each yielded before sending us off to the Hospital Wing, an anxious Lily in tow.

The spontaneous resurrection of emotion was short lived for Lily payed little attention to me. She occasionally shot me disdainful looks of contempt, a disappointed grimace stretched across her face, as we ascended the many staircases required to climb on the journey to the Hospital Wing. I was stupid for getting myself in this situation.

When we finally got to the large wooden doors that opened into the Hospital Wing, the four of us piled into the big room. As I crossed the threshold, Sirius tripped me and I nearly fell flat on my face, furthering the pain that I already felt.

The physical pain that I felt from my two rambunctious nemesises was no match to the emotional pain that the beautiful green eyed girl caused.