Chapter 16

James's POV

I really was not down in the hospital wing for very long, but for the time that I was stuck down there, Lily stayed by my side. I am eternally grateful for everything that Lily has done for me. I really am. Sometimes, when I am alone, I try to think of what I have done to deserve to have such a magnificent person in my life. I always come up short of any sufficient answers. Nonetheless, I always cherish every single moment that I have when I am with her. To me, every single moment counts.

I need to do something truly special for her. I need to do something that proves to her how important she is to me. Unfortunately, the last time I formed a plan to prove my love to Lily, it backfired and I ended up sulking alone around the castle for two weeks. I am going to try not to repeat that outcome. 

Of course this time, everything is different. There is not as much at stake. She has already accepted me into her life. Now I just need to prove to her that it was worth it. I suppose I am also doing this to prove to myself that I am worth it. 

It has taken me weeks to develop the perfect plan. Luckily, I know Lily pretty well. I do not want to do anything too flashy and public because she will resent me for it. I have learned of Lily that she does not like to be in the direct spotlight. She does not mind praise in academics, but for some reason, she prefers the attention to be on others. Which I think is an amazing quality in her. I also know that she will like this to be personal and special. 

I think I have come up with the perfect plan and I am 99.9% sure that this plan will not backfire. Mostly because Remus helped me. The last time that I did not listen to Remus, I ended up suspended in the air above the Great Hall. The result of the time before that was me sulking around the castle for two weeks. I really should listen to the werewolf more often. He is actually really smart. Huh...

Lily's POV

I smiled giddily as Marlene worked on my makeup.  Alice had already finished with my hair. My best friends do not usually help me with my looks but, I let them just this once because I have a date with James tonight.

He refuses to tell me what we are going to do. He insists that it is a surprise. He also continuously repeats the fact that it is a secret and I should not bother pressing for information from our friends because they know nothing of it. But I know that they know all about it from their shared knowing glances and secretive smiles. In fact, I would not be surprised if they had a hand in helping to plan all of this. Nonetheless, I did not press them. They could have their fun. 

Everything was silent in our small dorm room as Marlene pulled away from me to reveal my complete face. She did a really nice job. I smiled up at her thankfully. "Thanks, Marls." I said. Her response was nothing but a wink. I rolled my eyes playfully at her.

Then I turned to Alice. "You too, Alice. I really appreciate the help." She smiled back at me and gave me a one armed hug. 

Then all three of us burst into friendly giggles. Seven years ago, if you would have told me that I was giddy to go on a date with James Potter, I probably would have laughed and spit in your face. He really has changed. God, I love James Potter.

As our giggles subsided, Marlene glanced at the clock. She turned to me and placed her hands on my shoulders. "It is time to go, darling. James said he would meet you in the common room." Marlene placed a kiss on each cheek before pushing me toward the door. As I stepped out of our comfortable dorm room, Marlene and Alice shouted choruses of "Have fun!" and "Good Luck!" at me, followed by more giggles.

I walked down the stairs, nervously straightening my dress and hair as I walked. I took a deep breath as I reached the bottom of the stairs. I was looking at my feet, making sure my dress and shoes and everything was situated all right. When I looked up, I saw James and I could not help but laugh at what I saw. 

The ever-confident James Potter stood in front of me. He wore a nice button up shirt, like the ones my dad used to wear to church, and corduroy pants. His wide eyes and agape mouth contrasted his dressy appearance. He was looking right at me. I blushed. I had dressed up as well. I have to admit that I looked pretty great.

I wore a light, flowing, blue dress that was embroidered with emerald colored flowers and stopped just above the knee. The green of the dress matched perfectly with my eyes. The shoes I wore were green ballet flats that matched with the green of the dress. My hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail, curled, tied up with a light blue ribbon. Marlene had done my makeup perfectly. She only used natural tones and managed to bring out all the natural colors of my face, my freckles, my eyes, my cheeks, and my lips. 

I took a step toward James, who still stood with his jaw open wide and his eyes bulging at me. I laughed at him again. He just looked so silly. At the sound of my laugh, he seemed to snap out of his amazed trance. He shook his head a little bit, noticeably softening. He reached his hand out to me and I happily accepted it.

"You look beautiful, Lily." he said with an earnest smile.

"You don't look half bad yourself, Potter." You winked at him and he laughed.

"Are you ready to go?" 

"Yes. Let's go."

"Alright, Evans. Boy, are you in for a surprise."

As the two of you walked out of the common room and into the dark corridor outside, you could hear Marlene and Alice giggling at the bottom of the stairs. You could swear you heard the giggles of Sirius, Remus, and Peter, too, but you could not be sure.

James was definitely right. You were in for a surprise. And you were really excited to find out what lay ahead of you.