Chapter 29

James's POV

Maybe today was the final day of an era for us, but it was also the beginning.

It was the end of seven wonderful, amazing years at Hogwarts, full of magic and wonder and infinite laughs; friends and enemies and so many unforgettable, treasured memories. It was the end of a time period.

But it was the beginning of us. The beginning of Lily and I, and a life to look forward to. We would have children and even more infinite laughs and smiles and new memories to be made, stories to be wistfully recounted, and lands to invent, worlds to rule and to conquer and save. The world was at our fingertips now and this was only the start.

Since the proposal, Lily and I had rarely released our hands from one another's. Why would we? All we want is to be with each other, be amazing together. Begin together, end together, begin again together.

Everybody had met up again in the Great Hall. The last time we would ever all be here. In this place. It was sad in an exciting sort of way. Lily leaned happily against my arm.

Just as I moved to take a bite of my Cornish Pasty, I gasped, my fork clattering to my plate in the process, "I don't have a ring for you, Lil!"

"It's okay," She comforted, a smile on her face, "I don't need an engagement ring to love you, James,"

I frowned anyway, "I just want you to have what you deserve, Lil,"

Lily melted at the words, at my truth, and her hands migrated to the sides of my face, "It's fine, James," She said quietly, lips hovering above my own before meeting them with a gentle kiss. All of our friends groaned dramatically, purposefully audible.

What in the world did I do to deserve this wonderful red-haired, green-eyed woman?

She took my hand in hers, squeezed it tightly and turned back to her breakfast. It was our final breakfast at Hogwarts, the last one in this childish life of ours, the last before we grow and fly, away from this place where our feet will never touch the ground of anymore. Most of us were more excited than anything.

I was just excited to start my new life with Lily.