Chapter 4

"Lunch money. Now."

I frowned and glanced behind Zack and his friends. "I don't have any," I said. "I brought a bag lunch."

"Sure." He glanced at his friends and they all rolled their eyes. I tried to step around him, but he stepped sideways. He held his hand out. "Hand it over and no one gets hurt."

I glanced around nervously. If I didn't give him something he'd hold me here all day. "I really don't have any," I repeated. "I can bring some tomorrow?"

"Hm. Not good enough," Zack said. He nodded to his gang and they advanced towards me.

I backed up, afraid. "I don't have any!" I insisted.

"You've gotta have something. There's no way you're penniless," Zack said.

I thought about the money for my taxi ride. I had another therapy session today, but my dad couldn't drive me; some emergency meeting at work that he had to go to. I had been planning to take a taxi so I wouldn't be late.

Before I could speak up, a fist slammed into my stomach. As I doubled over, Zack pushed the guy who hit me. "I didn't tell you you could hurt him yet," he snapped, angry. While they bickered, I quickly pulled the twenty out of my pocket and held it out. Zack grinned. "Oh? You had something after all? Thank you for your generosity." He took the twenty with a fake bow and nodded to the others. 

I sighed in relief as they walked off and straightened up. Guess I was going to be late for my therapy appointment. I wasn't hungry anymore and stuffed my lunch back in my locker. I walked down to my next classroom, closing the door behind me. Why did I always give in like that? I felt so stupid it was frustrating. 

I sat in the empty room while lunch passed, doing some homework to pass the time. When class finally started I had relaxed some and I started to forget about my anger. I shouldn't dwell on things. Zack would always be Zack and I'd never be able to change that. Might as well just be prepared for the worst. I went through the rest of the day with a mediocre mood, praying for the day to end so I could go to therapy and then fall into sleep. It was the only fun part of my days. When school finally let out, I hurried to my locker, hoping to be as little late as possible.

I pushed open the schools doors and hurried down the steps, running for the gates. I was almost there when I spotted Zack standing just outside the gates. He was talking to some guys I recognized from earlier. They tackled good naturedly with each other, laughing.

I avoided making contact by walking to the other end of the gate and going the other direction, hurrying away down the street. Maybe he'd leave me alone for once.

"Hey, Erik! Get over here!" Zack shouted before I broke ten feet. 

I dropped my head back. Then I turned around to face Zack. "What do you want?" I asked.

He walked towards me, grinning. After slinging an arm around my shoulders, and sucessfully making my skin crawl in the way a bully's touch really shouldn't, he nodded to his guys. "Some friends of mine are having a party on Saturday. They don't have anyone to serve drinks," he said. "I suggested you since your so nice about helping me out."

I frowned. "I... I can't. I have-" I almost said I had a therapy session, but stopped before the words left my mouth. No way was I letting him know about that. It was just fuel for an already raging fire. I quickly changed my answer. "My dad wants me to help out around the house."

"Oh," he said, looking like he understood. He looked upset for a moment before he smiled again. "Then you should help your dad. On Sunday."

I frowned. "Zack, I can't-"