Chapter 30

Erik's dad arrived in a panic shortly after Zack had been directed to the waiting room. He filled out some forms and answered a few questions before he came and sat down next to Zack, his hands folded tensely in his lap. For a while, he just made small talk, asking what happened and stuff, but they both eventually fell silent, their minds elsewhere.

It felt like hours passed, maybe they did, but Zack was tapping his heel anxiously when he finally saw the doctor coming towards them. It had been too long in the waiting room and Zack was eager to know if Erik was okay. He stood up, Erik's dad following suit, as the doctor came up to them. "How is he? Is he awake?" Zack asked.

"He's in rough shape. The sleep medication did a number on his system," the doctor said. "But despite that, he seems to have a very strong body. He's stable for now."

The relief Zack felt at his words was so great it was almost painful. Closing his eyes, he took a deep, calming breath. Thank God. He was okay...

"Where is he? Can we see him?" Erik's dad asked.

"He's resting right now. I can't guarantee if or when he'll wake up, but if you want to go sit with him, you can," the doctor told them. Zack ignored the fact that he said "if he'll wake up" and followed closely as he showed them the way to Erik's room before leaving quietly.

When he laid eyes on Erik's face, Zack wanted to run to him and hug him to his chest tightly. He wanted to kiss him and see his beautiful eyes looking up at Zack with love. He wanted to do so many things when I saw him. However, sleeping in that bed, looking statuesque, but Zack knew couldn't. As Erik's dad went to his son's side, Zack held back. He deserved to be with Erik, not Zack. It was Zack's fault he was like this in the first place.

However, he was standing awkwardly by the door when Erik's dad looked up at him. Zack was surprised to see tears in his eyes as he held Erik's hand. He smiled at Zack gratefully. "He's breathing... He's alive..." he said. Zack frowned nervously as Erik's dad stood up and moved towards him. He didn't know what he had expected, but what happened next was completely dumbfounding to Zack. He tensed as the larger man pulled him into a firm embrace. "You saved his life... I can't thank you enough," he said.

For a moment, Zack just stood tensely, shocked by how relieved he sounded. Then he lifted his arm and rubbed his back awkwardly. "I-I... You're welcome..." he mumble.

Zack had always had the distinct feeling that Erik's father disliked him, but now he was hugging Zack, and he was thanking him. This wasn't right. He didn't deserve this. Zack looked over his shoulder at Erik. He was sleeping, but the stress in his expression was still there. Zack's heart ached to go to him and comfort him, but he didn't have the courage. Erik's dad, however, seemed to notice his wary gaze when he pulled away and put a hand on Zack' shoulder. "Do you want some time with him?" he asked. Zack hesitated, but he walked past gestured to the bed before going and opening the door. "I have to call his mother, so I'll be back," he said. Then he smiled. "Take care of him for me."

As the door closed, Zack's eyes drifted to Erik's bed once more. Using all his strength, he walked across the room, sitting down in the chair next to his hospital bed. Zack could hear his labored breathing, probably from the way the drugs had destroyed his system. He must be in pain, Zack thought. Nervously, he reached out and laced their fingers. His eyes watered when he felt how sweaty his trembling hands were. "Erik... I'm so sorry..." he whispered.

He was tossing in his sleep, possibly having a nightmare. His eyes were closed tightly, like he was scared. The last time Zack had seen those eyes, they had been full of fear and hatred for Zack... He blamed Zack and Zack couldn't help thinking maybe he was right to. He hadn't put up that poster, but if he hadn't said anything about his feelings... maybe Erik would've been alright. Maybe they would've left him alone.