Chapter 12

Without enthusiasm, I walked slowly towards my classes. I had three days left until the party. I was not looking forward to it, to say the least, but I would still go. Zack had invited me as a guest this time, which hopefully meant I wouldn't be serving drinks. If that was the case, I had better bring some headphones to occupy myself while I hid in a dark corner to keep out of trouble. On the other hand, I doubted Zack would let me do anything quiet. I knew I could pretty much bet my life he would bug me and torment me the whole evening, insisting I join in with their "fun".

The thought sent me into a fit of depression and I sighed as I sat down in my seat for my last class. Zack's fun was torture. I almost wished I would get sick enough right before the party that I would be sent to the hospital until the following Monday. I doubted cancer would excuse me in Zack's mind though, and part of me laughed inwardly as I pictured Zack going all the way to the hospital to teach me an lesson on "respect". How I got myself dragged into these messes, I would never know, but it always seemed like I was on the painful end of the spectrum.

I was staring out my window, deep in thought, when I felt a light, hesitant pat on my shoulder. I turned to see a girl standing next to my desk. She looked very nervous and was twisting the hem of her shirt with her hands. "Hi," she said. "You're Erik, right?"

I stared at her blankly. Why was this girl talking to me and how did she know my name? She must have taken my silence the wrong way and started to panic. "I must be mistaken, I'm sorry! I'll leave you alone!" she said hurriedly.

She started to scurry away, but I blinked out of my stupor and stood up. "No, I'm sorry," I said. "My name's Erik. Did you need something?" I asked. She looked ready to faint as she stared at me. I realized I probably looked defensive and I sat down again. "Is there something you needed?" I asked a second time.

This time, I saw her bravery peak out as she tried to keep her voice steady. "I just wanted to thank you," she said.

I frowned. "For what?"

"You helped my friends and I when those boys ran into the girl's locker room," she explained.

Remembering the incident, I finally understood what she was talking about. I felt guilty though, knowing the truth behind the matter. "It's alright. You don't need to thank me," I said; she really didn't need to thank me.

The girl looked around again and I followed her gaze. I noticed a bunch of whispering girls by a desk on the other side of the room. They were all watching us with eager eyes. The girl blushed when they waved her on and quickly slapped a piece of paper down on my desk. "Maybe we can hang out," she rushed to say. Then she fled. I watched her run out of the room with her hands over her pink cheeks.

I watched after her with a frown before I looked down at the paper. However, before I could have a chance to look at it, the teacher walked in to begin class. I quickly stuffed it in my pocket and mentally reminded myself I'd look at it after school.

Class passed normally and when it ended I went to get my things from my locker. As I walked towards the door, I pulled the note out of my pocket.

"My number: 147-926-0347
Hope we can be friends.

-Katherine"

I read it with a frown. It was unusual for anyone to talk to me, let alone give me their number. I thought back to the girl. Her long brown hair had seemed naturally curly an her green eyes had reminded me of a bird. Though I didn't really know her, she had appeared as a very polite girl. I wondered why she'd want to hang out with someone like me.

I was just stepping outside, my eyes still on the paper, when a hand reached out and snatched it away from me. I looked up and saw Zack looking over the note. He read it as he walked away from me, making me follow him. "What're you doing?" I asked. He ignored me and I chased after him. I started getting annoyed and tried to take it from him. "Zack, give it back," I said.

He held it away from me. "What's this? Did you get yourself a girlfriend?" he asked. He was smirking, but I could hear a tinge of anger in his voice.

"She's not my girlfriend. She just gave me her number," I said. "Now, give it back."

Zack glanced at the note again. "Nope," he said. Then he shredded the piece of paper.

I glared at him. "What was that for?" I asked as I watched the pieces fly away in the wind.

Zack stepped towards me. "You're not allowed to have connections," he said. "The best way to keep prey in line is to keep them isolated, right?"

I clenched my fists as anger seeped into my being. "I'm not some animal to be pushed around," I snapped without meaning to.

His smile slipped and he frowned, obviously surprised by my sharp retort. I didn't usually talk back to him in such a manner. However, he had crossed the line. I had every right to make friends and he had no say in that. He could push me around all he wanted at school, but my personal life was none of his business and I wasn't about to let him take that too. "Don't you dare tell me who and who not to be friends with. I am not your dog," I said.

I pushed past him with a scowl and started towards the school gate. For a moment, I wondered if I had miraculously gotten off scot free. But then Zack grabbed my arm and yanked me outside the school borders, dragging me around the corner. He pulled me into some bushes behind the school and threw me to the ground.

I was stunned for a moment. Then as I tried to sit up, Zack got on top of me and grabbed my throat. I expected him to hurt me, but he simply wrapped his hands loosely around my neck and leaned towards me with an annoyed frown. "Since when did you start mouthing off to me?" he growled. "I let it go the other day because you had a valid point for once, but don't think I'll keep letting you do whatever you want. I'd think you'd be more inclined to obey with your secret hanging over your head," he threatened. My chest tightened and I averted my eyes. My hands, which were around his wrists, loosened slightly as I deflated. He smirked. "You don't want me to go and tell everyone do you? I should've told already, really. After all the trouble you've caused me and my reputation, I should've already boosted myself back up by giving the school some new gossip material-"

"Please, don't..." I whispered, cutting him off. "I promise I won't talk back anymore. Just, please, don't tell anyone."

He stared down at me emotionlessly. I wondered what he was thinking, but I didn't dare make eye contact. Finally, seeming satisfied, he pulled away and released my neck. As he got up, I sat up and looked at him warily. He brushed himself off before turning to me. "I like you, Erik. For a toy, you're pretty interesting. Don't make me do something I don't want to," he said.

Then he held a hand out to me. I stared at it before I slowly reached up and took it. He helped me to my feet with a small smile, no punishment inflicted. I stood still, confusion making it hard to move, as he brushed the dirt from my shoulders and straightened my collar for me. I just stood there like an idiot as I stared at him. When he was finished, he looked up at me. He smiled and gently ran his hands through my messy hair, ruffling it. I felt a surge of happiness pulse through me at the feeling of his fingers running over my scalpel. "Zack-..." I didn't move a muscle.

He rubbed my cheeks with his thumbs. "Smile a little," he said. "You look cute when you do."

The feeling of his hands on my skin disappeared and he stepped away. "See you around," he said, waving.

I watched him exit the bushes, leaving me alone with my thoughts . I tried to process what had just happened, but my brain seemed to have shorted out on itself. Wandering out of the bushes and heading home, I tried to make sense of what had just happened.

*******

Subscribe to my YouTube at: Melanie Eberheart

Donate to my Patreon at: patreon.com/MelanieEberheart

Or follow me on Tumblr at: nekosaysmeow333

-Nekoco