Chapter 28

Zack stared in horror as Erik ran from him, hate so deep in Erik's eyes that it felt like a knife to his heart. He thought I did this, Zack realized. But Zack would never do something like this; not to him. He had meant every word he said when he had confessed to Erik. Erik meant so much to him.

Zack was about to run after him, determined to convince Erik of his innocence, when he heard a familiar chuckled off to his left. Stopping, he turned slowly, his eyes blazing. Abi was watching after Erik with a sly smile, very proud of herself. "Well, isn't that a shame. His parents must be so disappointed," she said. "Or... parent."

That was the last straw. Of all the things Zack had put up with when he was dating her, this was the one that broke the dam. He wasn't about to hold back, even if she was a girl. In an instant, Zack had stormed up to her and shoved her back, hard enough that she fell to the ground on her perfectly cleaned yellow cotton skirt. She looked stunned. Then, after getting over the initial shock, Abi glared up at Zack. "How dare you," she said.

"You're sick," Zack said, cutting her off. "I can't believe you would stoop so low."

Abi's expression changed distinctly from anger to surprise and hurt. "Zack, I did it for you," she said. "For you and me! He was going to drag you down!"

Zack glared at her, ready to rip her goddamn, make-up coated face off. "He was never going to drag me down. That boy is a better person than you'll ever be," he hissed. He narrowed his eyes at her. "If you ever come near him or me again, you'll regret it, bitch."

She breathed in a small gasp of surprise at his harsh words, but Zack was already running from the school courtyard. He hadn't seen where Erik went, but he only had one place to return to. Zack ran towards his house as fast as he could, calling his name all the way there in case he hid somewhere nearby. Zack was just running up the porch steps when Erik's dad stepped out the front door, briefcase in hand.

He looked up in surprise. "May I help you?" he asked.

"Is Erik home?" Zack asked hurriedly

Erik's father frowned. "No, he's at school, where you should be," he said.

He turned and started locking the front door. Zack ran his hand through his hair in frustration, trying to stay calm. "He's not at school," he said. "Is there anywhere else he would go?"

Erik's dad turned to Zack, looking annoyed. "I don't know what you're getting at, but no, there isn't. If he has any friends besides you, I wouldn't know," he said. "Erik left for school this morning and I haven't seen him since."

Zack glared at him. "I mean no disrespect, sir, but even if you don't care, your son might be in trouble. I have to find him," he said. "If there is any place he'd go, anywhere at all, please tell me."

When he heard that Erik could be in trouble, Erik's father's eyes went from angered to worried. He straightened. "Did something happen?" he asked.

Zack shook his head. "It's too much to explain right now. Just tell me where he'd go."

Erik's father thought. "Well... There's his mom's apartment, but there's a restraining order. He's not supposed to go there," he said.

It was better than anywhere Zack would have guessed. "What's the address?" he asked.

He wrote it down for Zack and held it out. He looked like he wanted to say something. "If he's in trouble, I should go with you. Let me drive you there," he said.

Zack took the paper quickly, but shook his head. "I don't think that's such a good idea. It's not something he would want you to know about," he said. Erik's father started to protest, but Zack waved his hand dismissively. "Please, don't follow me. It would only make it worse."