Chapter 29

Zack banged on the door of the apartment Erik's dad had directed him to. It was a small apartment in the city with thin walls; however, he couldn't hear anything when he listened. "Erik? Please, if you're in there, open the door!" he called. There was silence. Zack tugged on his hair furiously. This was bad. If he wasn't here, where was he? Zack was about to walk away, when he heard a crash, from inside. He whipped around. "Erik?!" he shouted, fearing something had happened.

Zack couldn't wait anymore. Erik was in there. But if he didn't get to Erik, he was going to do something bad, Zack could just feel it. Hopefully, Zack tried the handle; it was unlocked. He threw the door open, running inside quickly and looking around. He noticed at once that there was glass everywhere from a broken lamp, and blood. Zack's eyes widened at the amount of blood that was pooled in the middle of the glass. "Erik?" he called. "Are you here?"

When he didn't respond, Zack started for the closest door. It was locked, but I could hear water running on the other side indicating someone was in there. Zack knocked on the door loudly to be heard over the water. "Erik! Open up!" he said. But Zack couldn't hear him at all, just the running of the water. He panicked and jiggled the handle again. "Please, Erik," he pleaded. "Let me explain everything!"

Something told Zack that whatever he couldn't see behind this door was probably something bad and fear crept into his heart. He couldn't wait anymore and he stepped back. He didn't hesitate before kicking the door down and rushing into the bathroom. Instantly, his world shook to its core as he saw his baby, his Erik, on the floor with his eyes closed. He was foaming at the mouth and drooling while his body jerked spastically. Zack ran to him, dropping to his knees beside him. "Erik?! Erik!" he shouted, cupping his face in my hands. "Oh, no, no... You can't go like this."

Zack patted his cheek, trying to wake him up, as his other hand reached down to press over Erik's bleeding arm. What had happened? Zack looked around, his eyes spotting an empty bottle on the floor a foot away. Snatching it up, he read the label. Suvorexant. "No... Erik, what did you do?" he whispered. He dropped the bottle and shook Erik. "Please, wake up!" he begged.

Erik continued to spaz frantically, but it was slowing, he was growing paler. Terrified, Zack yanked out his phone and called nine-one-one. His call was answered immediately by a man. "Hello? Nine-one-one, what's your emergency?" he asked.

"M-my boyfriend...! Please, you have to help!" Zack could hardly speak and fumble with his words. "He's... Oh, God, I don't know what's happening..."

"Sir, I need you to speak clearly," the man said. "Please, state your name and address."

Zack shook his head, desperate for help. "You don't understand! He's-... He's dying..." He couldn't help sobbing into the receiver. "Please... help him... He's dying...!"

Understanding the urgency of the situation, the man answered calmly."Alright, sir. If you can give me your address we'll send an ambulance."

Zack stuttered, tying to focus. "U-uh... 2091 Hilridge Avenue. Building... 3, apartment 9, I think..." he said. Erik jerked in his lap and he covered his mouth to keep a sob at bay. "Please, he took something, medication, I think... He's choking a-and I can't stop it-"

"Okay, first thing's first. You need to make him throw it up. Put your fingers at the back of his throat. This will make him vomit," the man said. "Do it quickly."

Lifting his head, Zack cradled him in his arms and quickly did as he was told. Erik's body jerked once as his gag reflex kicked in, but he didn't throw up. Zack felt horrible doing that to him, but he had to. So, he did it again, this time getting the result I needed. Erik threw up, coughing violently as he rolled onto his side. His vomit was mixed with blood.