Hamish Grant (demigod)

Here's the real chapter. Hope you don't mind, it's another demigod. It's Christmassy, but I realise it's two weeks late so don't think about that. Enjoy!

I hate Percy Jackson. 

I know it's wrong to hate someone you've never met, but just hear me out. 

It's Christmas Eve. I'm supposed to be having a nice time with my newly found demigod family, especially my siblings in the Demeter cabin. If I had my way I would even have a cute Athena girlfriend to spend the season with, but no. She has to be working her butt off either on this warship thing or searching tirelessly for her boyfriend, Percy Jackson.

Percy Jackson. Everywhere I go in this camp, it's "Percy Jackson this!" and "Percy Jackson that!" People say to me whenever I do anything remotely awesome, people say "Percy is so good at that. I wish he was here." I even won a canoe race, in my first week, but all I got was "Percy is the best canoe racer ever." 

I know, I understand, he's practically one of the leaders of this camp, but do you really have to miss him out loud? He's probably some high-and-mighty douchebag anyway.

I brought up this issue to my head councillor and half sister Katie, but all she said was "You're being really selfish, Hamish. Percy is a great guy, he'd be blushing down to his feet at all this fuss over him. He loves this camp and this camp loves him, and if you, a jealous one-week-old camper, think you're better than him, then you're very much mistaken. Now eat your dinner."

I ate my dinner. Then I looked up at Katie again. "What about Annabeth?" I asked.

Katie frowned, and glanced towards the Athena table, where a worn out and depressed looking, yet deeply scowling, Annabeth Chase was sitting. I'm surely not the only one who thinks Annabeth's hot. I'm just probably the only one who isn't scared to talk to her. Not that I have. 

"What about her?" Katie said.

"How long's she been dating Jackson?' I questioned. Katie stared at me.

"Don't you dare. It's Christmas time and her best fr- boyfriend is missing and she's feeling so alone and she misses him like crazy and the last thing she needs is for you to stick your nose in. Piper finally convinced her to stop looking for him over Christmastime to spend time with us and if you remind her - "

"OK! I get it! No hitting on Annabeth." I muttered. Katie nodded sharply once and went back to eating.

Do you seriously think I meant that?

The next day was Christmas day. I had a pretty awesome day, but I didn't see Annabeth anywhere. I decided to ask Annabeth's friend, and the new Aphrodite head councillor, Piper, if she'd seen her.

"Katie Gardener told me what you're thinking about." Piper said as soon as I asked. "I hope you're not planning on trying anything."

I shook my head vigorously. No need to get the daughter of the love goddess on my bad side right now.

"Good. And she's in Bunker 9, working on the Argo II and looking for stuff about Percy." She then muttered, "Even though I tried to stop her." 

"Anyway," she continued, "Bunker 9 is special access only. Sorry, you'll have to wait for the campfire." And with that, Piper turned and left.

That night the campers had a special Christmas campfire, with greek-style Christmas carols such as "Hermes is Coming to Town", "Walking in Khione's Wonderland", and "Away in a Manger (Zeus had another baby)". We roasted snowman marshmallows and and burned the Christmas decorations we'd made in Arts and Crafts. It was a great end to Christmas, but I still had one thing left on my wishlist, and that was Annabeth Chase - who had come to the campfire, just as Piper said. I had a brilliant plan.

After the campfire had died down a little, I headed very slowly towards Annabeth. She was doodling on a little piece paper in her hand and chewing on marshmallow snowman. Piper and Rachel Dare were sitting either side of her and chatting with each other. Annabeth seemed to be joining in occasionally. Jason Grace was sitting next to Piper and talking to a cheerful and vaguely elf-looking (the elf hat didn't help) Leo Valdez. But I wasn't watching them or anything. 

Annabeth suddenly stood up. She said something to her friends and started walking to the toilets, and I ran up to her. "Hey, Annabeth!" I grinned at her.

"Hi..." She said tiredly, staring at my with her freakish and gorgeous grey eyes.

"Hamish." I said. I held my hand above our heads. "Look, mistletoe!"

Annabeth stared at me more fiercely than anything I'd ever seen. I smiled nervously and glanced and the leaves I was holding in my hand. "So...? You know what that means, right?" I said with a wink.

She slapped me. Hard.

It stung so much, tears sprang from my eyes. I brought my hand instantly up to my probably bright red face and looked at Annabeth. She held up the piece of paper in her hand. It was a photo of her and a guy maybe and inch or two taller than her, with his arm around her as she kissed his cheek. Annabeth had drawn little santa hats on their heads.

"Do you see this? This is a picture of me and my boyfriend. My boyfriend who's not here for our first Christmas together because a psycho goddess kidnapped him. My boyfriend who could be being tortured by Romans right now or chased by crazy monsters - I'm not certain, but I am certain that I am going to find him and make him remember me so we can have a Christmas together. One that doesn't involve abhorrent goddesses. And you have the audacity to come up to me and think I'm going to ditch my best friend for some newby? On Christmas day, when I'mm missing him the most? Don't make me laugh. I'm not in the mood. Now leave me alone, I'm busy and you're wasting my time."

With that, she turned on her heel and stormed off. Her limp blonde curls bounced up and down in their ponytail and I stared after her for a while, my hand cupped to my still burning cheek. 

When I finally trudged back to the campfire, Katie ran up to me. "Hamish, where were you? It's time to get ready for bed." She glanced at my cheek. "What happened to you? Your cheek is bruising or something."

"Annabeth - " I started, before Katie gasped

"Is that - have you got mistletoe in your hand? Hamish, you didn't! You heartless pig!" And as if I needed more beating, Katie smacked me as well. "I hope you learned a lesson, and that Annabeth gave you a good talking to. Now go. To. Bed. And stop with these dumb games."

I sighed and trudged back to the Demeter cabin, Katie walking slowly ahead of me. This Christmas had been going so well until then. How could I have been so dumb?

A short girl about my age suddenly ran up to me. "Hey, Hamish?" She started, but Katie butted in.

"Don't even bother, Alison. He has no respect for woman and no boundaries. He tried to get Annabeth to kiss him."

Alison stared at me, then ran off.

"Come on, Katie, why would you do that? It's not even a big deal." I moaned.

"Oh, it's a big deal, Hamish. Especially for the Aphrodite campers. They adore Percy and Annabeth together." Katie muttered.

My mouth formed a silent 'oh'. 

As I got ready for bed, I tried to let any thought of Annabeth Chase escape my mind.

And months later, when I finally met Percy Jackson - well, I'm not gonna suddenly say "Oh! I think Percy and Annabeth are the cutest couple ever!" because I have to admit, I'm still jealous of him. But all I'm gonna say is that Percy Jackson is hard to hate.

Sorry about the lack of Percabeth here. This is just a chapter that I though of and really wanted to give a go to writing. Hope you liked it and didn't mind my slightly crazy last chapter too!