Chapter Four: Face in the Mirror

“I didn’t know you could sing.”

I smiled shyly in my aunt’s direction. “There are a lot of things you don’t know about me.”

“It seems so, Erin.”

Gina and I were walking to the football field, where my brother was. When Mrs. Parker announced that I am accepted from the Drama Club, Wendy tried to reason with her, telling her that she’s making the wrong decision, that I’m not a good singer. But then she just rolled her eyes and coldly told Gina, “Who’s the teacher around here?” This made Wendy scoff in anger and left the auditorium.

“Hey,” Simon greeted us when we saw him. He smiled at me but then frowned slightly when he saw Gina – which she didn’t notice.

“Are you ready to come home? Or are you still busy with… this?” Gina asked him, gesturing to the football players practicing.

Simon grinned. “You can drive the car. I’ll just walk home or let someone drive me.”

“Erin?”

The three of us turned and I saw Hugh, smiling at me. I smiled back, but it was an unsure one. Why was he here? The last time I saw him was when I left the auditorium with Gina.

“Hugh?”

“Can I talk to you for a second?”

“Uh, sure,” I said and excused myself from Gina and Simon. I walked towards Hugh and shrugged a shoulder conversationally. “What’s up?”

“Can I walk you home?” he asked suddenly.

This made my eyebrows shot up in surprise. “Huh?” I said stupidly.

“Can… can I walk you home?” he repeated, waggling his eyebrows suggestively.

I just stared at Hugh for one whole minute. Nobody asked that question to me – much less a guy. Back in New York, boys didn’t pay attention to me. I’m not that pretty, but I know I’m not ugly. I’m average-looking and boys in my old school think average-looking girls are not enough. Plus, I’m a loner and nobody wants to befriend me.

And now… here’s someone who’s actually asking to walk me home. And he’s not really bad looking too. Hugh was a hundred percent handsome and I would love to get to know him better.

“Sure,” I replied. “I’ll just tell my aunt and brother.”

Hugh’s shoulders sagged with relief. “Okay. I’ll wait here.”

I turned back to Gina and Simon, who were waiting patiently.

“Did he ask you out?” Gina asked immediately, her wide eyes searching my face.

I was taken aback. “Wh-what?”

“Of course he did that, Gina,” Simon said, as if it was the obvious thing in the world.

“He just asked if he could walk me home,” I said, but I felt a small blush creeping.

The blush wasn’t inconspicuous from Gina. “Look! You’re blushing!”

“Not so loud,” I hissed at her. “He’ll hear you!”

Simon sighed and wrapped an arm around Gina’s shoulders. “Don’t worry, big sis. I’ll take care of Gina. Go with that guy. Be safe, okay?”

“It’s still your first day of school. And a guy is following you around,” Gina said, winking at me. “I didn’t know you’re thatkind of girl.”

“I’m not,” I groaned.

I bade them goodbye and then turned around. Hugh and I began to walk away.