Chapter Thirteen: Experimental Kiss

“I’m really sorry I missed the dance.”

I closed my locker door and saw Hugh, smiling apologetically at me. On his hand was a small bouquet of red roses. My eyebrows rose in surprise and he grinned wider. “What’s that for?” I asked, gesturing at the red roses.

“Well, it’s a sign of apology,” he replied and I took the flowers from him. “So am I forgiven now?”

I smiled at her. “You don’t have to apologize. It’s not your fault that you weren’t at the dance,” I said and sniffed the roses. “They smell lovely, by the way.”

“Just like you,” he complimented. “I asked Grandma for help choosing the flowers.” Then he cleared his throat. “Are you going for your rehearsal for Miss Saigon?”

I nodded. “As a matter of fact, yes.”

“Do you want me to walk you there?”

“Uh, did you eat something?” I teased. “You’re acting so kind to me today.”

“Wasn’t I kind to you back then?”

I shrugged and placed the bouquet on top of my books. “You can also walk me home after rehearsals. It’s been a long time since we’ve been hanging out.”

“I know, right?” he laughed. “Let me help you with your books.”

“No, really, it’s fine,” I assured him but that didn’t stop him from scooping my books to his arms. I gave him a look. “I can carry those books without your help, Hugh.”

“I’m being a gentleman,” he said jokingly and together we walked to the auditorium.

When we arrived there, Howard and Wendy were practicing the Sun and Moon scene. Mrs. Parker exhaled sharply. “Howard, tell me, are you uncomfortable kissing Wendy?” she demanded.

Howard went pale and shrugged. “Um… no.”

“Yes you are!” Mrs. Parker snapped. “This scene requires you to kiss her. Actually, you have lots of scenes kissing her.”

I stifled a laugh as Hugh and I picked our seats. “Thank God I did not get the role of Kim,” I said conversationally. “I would have to give up my first kiss for a play.”

Hugh chuckled. “Lucky Howard.”

“From the top!” Mrs. Parker was announcing at the front.

Wendy sighed angrily and then wriggled out of Hugh’s arms. They were really far away but I can hear whatever they were saying. “Listen,” she said menacingly, “this is going to be a huge thing for me and if you really don’t want kissing me, imagine I’m your girlfriend! That would be easier!”

“No offense, but you don’t really look like Charlotte,” Howard said lamely.

“Just do it!”

Hugh and I laughed quietly, hoping no one could hear us. However, Mrs. Parker did and whipped around. When she saw me, she sighed in relief. “Erin! Come here!” she called for me.

“I’ll see you later,” I mumbled at Hugh’s direction.

“I’ll be here,” Hugh replied.

“Let’s practice your scene,” Mrs. Parker told me as soon as I arrived. “I haven’t seen you during rehearsals for a while. Any reasons for that?”

I blushed. “Um… I have much more important things to do.” Yeah right, as if sleeping and lazing around at home were important.

“Do you memorize your lines?” she asked snippily.