Chapter Twenty-Seven: A Help From A Stranger

I did not want to go to school but Gina forced me to go. She said nothing’s going to change if I go to school – Winston was still asleep. I got angry with her, of course. I want to be with Winston when he wakes up. I want to be with him every time.

That was why I was sulking at the cafeteria during lunch. Wendy was nowhere to be seen and I think she didn’t go to school. My friends and I were sitting on our usual table and while they were talking about what was currently happening in school, I was quiet, playing with my food with my fork and spoon. I just can’t believe Gina made me go to school. Can’t she see it was pointless? I’m still not going to listen what the teachers were babbling about. I’ve got other things in mind.

Hugh was sitting beside me and he noticed that I wasn’t eating. He leaned towards me and patted my hand softly. I looked up and saw his eyes staring back at me softly. I smiled slightly. “If you’re going to ask if I’m okay, I am. You don’t have to worry about me.”

“I’m not going to ask that,” he said. “I’m just going to ask you if you want some company later when you go to the hospital. Me and Jennifer are free. And I think so are Howard and Charlotte.”

“Sure, that’d be nice.”

“Winston is a strong person, Erin. He’s going to be okay,” Hugh assured me. “He’s just not going to leave you just like that. He loves you and I can see that. He would live for you. You have to keep that in mind. You must not lose hope.”

“I’m just worried that maybe he’s going to give up—”

“He wouldn’t. You have to trust me on this.”

I smiled and he squeezed my hand gently. Jennifer looked over at us and leaned towards us. “You know, if you’re not having a bad day, I would have been pissed off that my boyfriend is holding your hand,” she said jokingly.

I chuckled. “Sorry,” I apologized.

“I was just joking,” she said, waving me off. “You could touch his hand all the time. Just not without me. Anyway, the four of us are going to be free later this afternoon. Do you want us to come with you?”

“Yes. I’d like that very much.”

The bell rang, signalling the end of lunch. I didn’t feel like going to classes today so while my friends went to their classes, I went to the library to read a book or something. I went inside and the librarian raised her eyebrows. I shrugged my shoulders. “I have free period,” I told her.

She seemed to relax and I went to the back of the library, where all the good books were. I tried to look for a book but then I was too preoccupied with Winston. I leaned on the wall, closed my eyes and sighed. If I lose him, there’s going to be surely a big hole in my heart. I don’t think I can handle that if he dies – which will not be happening, I hope.

I sat down on the cold ground and hugged my knees. The tears were already falling from my eyes and I closed my eyes once again so that they would stop. But they just keep falling.

I suddenly remembered that time when Winston and I were at my bedroom, and he was teaching me to sing. He was still wearing that mask that time and he still looked handsome and perfect and gorgeous. I knew I loved him back then, I just didn’t realize.

“You were flat,” he had told me. “If you can’t reach the notes, then you should lower your voice a little bit. You don’t have to sing so loud because that would make you flat.”

“How come you know a lot about singing when you haven’t been taught by a professional?” I asked him with a pout. “It’s just not fair, you know.”

The Beauty Underneathजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें