Chapter Eighteen: The Scarred Face

“So what are your plans for this year’s Christmas?” Jennifer asked, hooking her arm with mine. It was the first day of December, and people were going crazy about the holidays.

I shrugged. “I don’t know. But it would be weird, I guess. This is the first Christmas Simon and I without our parents. It would be hard, but we’ll go through it.”

She smiled sadly. “I’m really sorry about that. It must be tough.”

“You have no idea.”

We stopped outside the auditorium. “You go ahead,” I said, smiling at her. “We’re having a club meeting today and it might be long.”

“Okay. See you tomorrow!”

I hugged Jennifer and then we said our goodbyes. I went in the auditorium, where the others were already there, listening to what Mrs. Parker was saying. Gina was sitting at the front, scribbling on her notepad. Nobody was looking and so I took the seat on the fourth row.

“So, next week we’re going to have a concert singing some Christmas carols and we’d donate it to charity, like we do every year,” Mrs. Parker said. “But I’m going to pick some chosen people, which is unlike other years where all of us are going to sing. Five girls and five boys.”

Everybody started murmuring to each other, hoping they would be chosen to sing. I, meanwhile, placed both of my hands on my lap. And I was crossing my fingers.

“So, for the boys: Howard, Randy, Theodore, Roland and Fernando. For the girls: Wendy, Isla, Patricia, Erin and Gwen.”

I blew out a sigh of relief. At least, I was chosen. Mrs. Parker clapped her hands. “Okay, for those of you who weren’t called, you’d be part of the other charity concert we’re going to do in two months. So, I guess that’s it. You may leave now, except for the people that I’ve called.”

Half of the class stood up and left, chattering with their friends. Howard was sitting at the second row and he turned and waved at me to sit beside him. I just shook my head and mouthed that I’m fine here.

“I congratulate you all because you’ve been chosen as my top ten members of this club,” Mrs. Parker said, smiling at us.

“Yay, Erin!” Gina howled. I blushed.

Mrs. Parker gave her a look. “Thank you for that unnecessary yell, Gina,” she said and turned back at us. “Tomorrow I expect you to be all here, since we’re going to practice the songs you are going to sing. Each of you has a single song to sing. The concert would be held in December 19, so we have lots of time to practice.”

Wendy’s hand shot up. “I couldn’t go tomorrow, Mrs. Parker.”

She raised her eyebrow. “And why not, Wendy?”

“I have important matters to tend.”

“Like what?”

“Personal and important matters.”

Mrs. Parker sighed. “Fine. Okay, you’re free to go.”

The ten of us stood up and Howard was immediately on my side. “So what are you going to sing?” he asked.

“We get to choose our song?” I asked, impressed.

“Oh yeah, I always forget you’re a new member,” he chuckled. “Mrs. Parker talked highly of you and it’s kind of weird since you’re a new member and all that. But yes, we get to choose our song. This is an annual event, and every year I’m always picked.”

“I’m not sure what to sing,” I replied. “I think it’s going to be something Christmas-y.”

“You don’t say,” Howard said, rolling his eyes. “Anyway, I’ve go to go. Charlotte and I are going out, since it’s our anniversary.”