Chapter Twenty-Three: Christmas Holidays

Winston finally got okay two days after he got the fever. The week after that, it was already the Christmas holidays. I was doing my Christmas shopping with Winston one Saturday afternoon. But, of course, we couldn't be alone since if somebody saw us together, he or she might think something's up. So that was why we dragged Simon with us - despite his threats that he would seriously run to the kitchen and slash his wrist. 

"Do you think Gina would like this?" I asked, holding out a hot pink camera. "She loves this color and she loves taking photos."

Simon sighed wearily. "I don't know. I don't even care what she would like. Just give her a present."

"Winston? What do you think?" I said, turning to my boyfriend. "Do you think Gina would like this?"

"It's nice..." he said, smiling slightly.

"Nice?" I repeated, raising an eyebrow. "That's all you've got to say?"

"I mean, the camera is nice. But I think it's too flashy, you know? And really bright. Just look at the color," Winston explained, shrugging. 

I considered it for a minute and shrugged my shoulders. "I'll buy it."

"Then why did you even ask for my opinion?" he said, shaking his head but there was a smile in his face. 

I was paying the salesgirl for the camera when I heard someone - a female - shout my boyfriend's name. The three of us turned around and saw Wendy, grinning widely at us. She went over and hugged Winston - as if they were close enough to do that.

"Hi! I didn't know you're going to be here," she gushed. "So are you Christmas shopping?"

"Uh, yeah," Winston replied. 

She finally turned to look at me and she frowned. "Erin? Are you with Winston?" she asked and before I could reply, a sly smile made it to her lips. "If I know better, I would have thought that you're actually dating."

"We're family friends," I said dismissively. "And we're not totally alone with each other. My brother, Simon, is here with us."

Simon raised his hand. "Hi."

"Hello," Wendy said, without even sparing him a glance. "Are you finished with your shopping? We could grab some coffee and go watch a movie!"

"We're going to go home after this," I said quickly before any of my companions could. "Gina's expecting us."

"We won't be long," she urged. "I'm going to leave for Australia in two days. My parents never liked winter so we're going to spend our holidays there. I won't have any more time to be with you."

Are we even close? "No, I'm really sorry but we have to go," I said firmly.

Wendy sighed and then she looked up at Winston. "Would you like?"

He blinked, surprised that she even asked him. "Uh, me?"

She giggled girlishly. "Yes you."

"Well... um... I think it's okay. I mean, you're going to leave and we won't see you for a very long time," he replied and gave me a helpless look. I gave him a glare.

"Really? That's super!" she beamed. "Come on, let's go to this wonderful cafe I've been going to for two years!"

She immediately grabbed Winston's hand and led the way. Simon raised his eyebrows and looked at me questioningly. "What?" I snapped at him.

"That girl's familiar. Was she in your play?"

"She played the main role."

"You don't like her, do you?"