Chapter Fifteen: The Play

"Good luck, Erin!" Charlotte gushed and gave me a final hug before she and Jennifer left. "I'll be cheering for you as soon as you sing your lines."

I laughed. "I don't have a lot of lines, actually," I said. "But I'd appreciate the effort."

"And now where's my boyfriend? I shall give him a final kiss before he publicly kisses that bitch onstage," she said and went away to look for Howard.

Jennifer smiled at me and patted my cheek. "Your makeup looks good!"

"Well, duh, you were the one who applied it," I said and we both laughed.

"Good luck for your performance, Erin. I'm sure you'd do a better job than Wendy," she said, grinning. "Show Mrs. Parker that you deserve the role for Kim!"

"To tell you the truth, I'm happy with my role," I said, which really surprised me. I used to be bothered that I never got the leading role, but being Ellen was pretty awesome too. "Wendy is a pretty good singer too."

She looked genuinely shocked. "Did you eat something? Why the sudden change of heart?"

I shrugged. "I just realized that we should grateful with whatever we have."

"Well, I guess, you're right," she said, smiling softly. "I'll go join Charlotte in the seats, okay? We're going to be in the third row and I'd be bringing the script. So if you forget one or two lines, just look at me. Understand?"

The thought made me laugh. I do memorize my lines, but I'm afraid when I'm going to face my audience, I'd just go blank and stay silent. "Thank you," I said between laughter. "I'll keep that in mind."

She gave me one last hug and then left. I was left in the backstage all alone while the other actors were busy fussing with their outfit. My hands were shaking as I sat down on my seat, waiting for the play to begin. Though I only have a major role, I only have a few scenes, compared to Wendy and Howard.

But this was going to be my first time acting onstage while a bunch of people would be staring at me, criticizing me. I closed my eyes and buried my head to my hands, trying to relax. Inside my head, I was singing my lines, hoping it would reassure me.

After a few minutes of staying like that, I felt a hand on my back. I looked up, opening my eyes. I saw Hugh, standing above me, a small smile on his face. "Hi," he said.

I allowed myself to smile just a little. This was the first time since he asked me to be his girlfriend. It was awkward, knowing that I have rejected him. "Hello," I replied. "What are you doing here?"

"Just wishing you a good luck," he said and sat down across me. "How are you feeling?"

A sigh escaped my lips and shrugged. "Nervous as hell."

"Well, you should see Wendy at the other room," Hugh chuckled. "You'd think she was in her period."

"She's playing the read role. You can't blame her."

"I guess I should go," he said and stood up.

He's still one of my closest friends so I was sad to see him go. "So soon?"

He grinned. "Your aunt and brother are outside. I think they're waiting for me to leave so that they would talk to you privately."

"Oh, okay. I'll see you after the play?"

"Sure," he said and bent down to kiss my cheek. It seemed like a friendly gesture.

He left and within minutes, Gina and Simon went in the backstage. Gina grinned widely when she saw me. "Aww, just look at you! Your parents would have been so proud!" she said and kissed me on both cheeks.