Chapter Twelve: A Masked Party

“What?” Simon grumbled as he opened the door to his room. He was already dressed up for the dance but his hair was still untidy. He frowned at me when he saw me. “Why are you still here? The dance would be at eight. It’s already seven.”

I waved at him dismissively. “Do you have extra formal clothing? Like, a tux or anything?”

He narrowed his eyes. “Why would you use it? You’re not going to wear it, are you?”

I looked at him as if he was stupid. “I’m a girl. Why would I wear it? Sometimes, you’re really a dumbass.”

My brother scowled at me and turned around to rummage inside his closet. He grabbed a pair of black slacks, a white button-down shirt and a blazer. He was about to grab an emerald-green tie but then I asked, “Do you have a red tie? It would match with my dress that way.”

Simon raised an eyebrow at me. “What the hell are you planning?” he asked but handed me a red tie anyway. Then he smirked at me. “Just admit it – you don’t have a date. You’re going to pay a random stranger to dress up as your date so that you wouldn’t have to embarrass yourself.”

I scowled at him. “It’s really none of your business,” I snapped at him and left his room. What he said wasn’t really right… but somehow it was kind of true. Though I’m not paying Winston to be my date. He suggested it himself.

When I returned in my room, Winston was awkwardly standing in the middle of my room. He was barefoot and on his hands was a pair of leather shoes. “This is my only formal clothing,” he said and then frowned. “Though it’s not really clothing.”

“Don’t worry, I have clothes over here,” I said and handed him Simon’s clothes. “You can change inside the bathroom. I’ll be waiting here.”

He nodded and went in the bathroom. As if on cue, my phone rang and I went over to my desk. It was Charlotte who was calling me and I pressed the Answer button. “Charlotte?” I said her name.

“Howard’s at my place and we’re going to pick up Jennifer in her house. Peter’s also there,” she informed me. “Then we’re going to pick you up. Oh, we have rented a limousine too! Awesome, huh?”

“Yes, it is,” I said, distracted. “Listen, Hugh’s not going to attend. He’s super sick so…”

“Wait, don’t tell me you’re not going!” Charlotte cried, horrified.

“I’m still going, Charlotte.”

“Oh. But who’s going to be your date? Or are you going to be alone?”

“My housekeeper has a friend,” I replied, twirling a lock of my black hair with my finger. It wasn’t exactly a lie, was it? “His name is Winston and he’s really shy. We can go to the school dance with someone who doesn’t go to our school, right?”

“Sure,” she said. “So, this Winston… Is he someone special?”

I flushed, even though there’s no reason to. I mean, Charlotte was just asking me. It wasn’t as if I just confessed my love for Winston. Which will not happen. “No,” I told her. “Look, I need to go. I have to prepare for the last time.”

“’Kay. See you later!”

“Later,” I said and hung up.

The bathroom door opened and out came Winston, wearing my brother’s clothes. It fitted him perfectly. Simon’s really muscular since he does football and all, but I wonder how Winston gains his muscles when he just stays down there. Maybe playing the piano 24/7 could count as a workout? I don’t know. He shuffled uncomfortably. “How do I look?” he asked.