chapter fifty

As we follow the path back to the school, something swells inside my heart and I recognize this feeling immediately. It's the same feeling I had when I first met Liz. It's the same feeling I had when we went to Point Reyes and the Grand Canyon and Yosemite. The wanderlust has returned and it's insatiable. "Let's go," I say.

"Where?"

"On an adventure." There's something in me right now that needs to purge the bad from my system. I no longer want to feel my heart beat for every bad thing that's happened the last year. I want my heart to beat for something more, something magical. I remember the old couple we saw at Point Reyes. I will never stop wandering, I think. And I will never stop wondering.

"And I want our son-"

"Or daughter," she interrupts.

I smile. "Yes, or daughter." I stick my tongue out at her and she swats my shoulder. I laugh. "I want our son or daughter to grow up knowing that their parents never stopped going on adventures. What a story it would be if we did something crazy and exciting before starting our lives as parents!"

She laughs. "It would be a good one, I guess."

"No! No guessing. No thinking. No worrying. The future is ours, Liz. And it's time we took control for once."

"Alright," she says. "Alright, let's do it!"

"Hallelujah," I say, sweeping her into my arms and kissing her like it's the end of the world. But then, it is. It's the end of the world as we know it. And something new is on its way.

*If you enjoyed this chapter, please VOTE or COMMENT.