six.

six.

calum entered the thrift store that was twenty minutes away from his house. he didn't have much money to spend, especially if he wanted to eat. he had gone almost five nights without dinner and the crappy school lunches weren't adequate enough to stop the neverending howls that escaped from his stomach. the thrift store wasn't very big, just a few aisles of unwanted stuff and a back room with all the new 'stock'. calum headed straight for the mens aisle and filtered through the second hand t-shirts, yet nothing seemed to spark his interest.

"we're closing in five minutes," a lady, much shorter than calum with a protruding stomach smiled as she stood next to calum. no one ever talked to calum, only the teachers at school when they asked him a question or scolded him. sometimes the guidance counsellor talked to him but calum knew that the counsellor was sick of calum, so calum never went back. calum nodded at the lady who was no longer looking and was already back behind the counter, so calum pulled out the first top he saw and took it to the counter so he wouldn't seem rude.

"ah, all time low, good band, my daughter listens to them all the time and i must say i do adore them myself," the lady chuckled as she scanned the top and held out her hand for calums cash, "two dollars." calum nodded and handed her the money before taking the plastic bag with the top in it. "thank you, have a nice evening," the lady called out. no one had ever wished calum a nice evening, or a nice anything. it wasn't unusual though. he was a loner.