Chapter 1: Hey Pretty Girl

I sighed heavily, pushing the door to the bar open quietly and walking in. Tables lined the walls. Some were empty; others had one or two occupants. All was still. No one even remotely turned an eye in my direction when I entered; most were so drunk they couldn't see straight and others just didn't care.

Smoke floated heavily in the air, but I suppressed a cough, taking a seat near the end of the counter, resting my head on my hands tiredly. It was quiet, which I was thankful for. My head was already pounding.

"No thanks to you, Abaddon," I growled under my breath, rubbing my temples.

"You look like you took a beating," the bartender said as he made his way towards me. I looked up, smiling slightly.

"Mmh, you could say that," I replied sitting up a little straighter. He nodded.

"Whatcha want?"

"Strongest you've got." He eyed me, raising a skeptical eyebrow, but nodded, turning away. Next thing I know a shot glass comes sliding towards me filled with a golden liquid. I quickly down it, smirking as the liquid left a fiery trail down my throat. I slammed the glass down.

"Another," the bartender asked waving the bottle around.

"Bring it on," I said, somewhat more awake than before. A half dozen shots later I was numb. My headache was gone. God knows I'll feel it again in the morning, but hey, it had been a bad day.

I sat back in my seat, somewhat more relaxed than before, slipping off my jacket and slinging it over the back of my chair.

"One last one," the bartender asked and I shook my head.

"That'll leave me senseless, and that won't go over well." He nodded, turning away and grabbing something out from under the counter. I flinched, reaching back for the hand gun in my jacket, but relaxed again when he just pulled out a beer for a very attractive man who had just sat down beside me. I eyed him, raising a surprised eyebrow.

His leather jacket and quite a bit of his dark blue shirt were covered in dirt and what looked like blood. Exhaustion was written all over his rugged face and defeat seemed to float in his enticing emerald green eyes.

"Long day," I asked turning towards him.

"You have no idea," he sighed. I rolled my eyes.

"I've already had 7 shots. Come at me," I retorted. He glanced at me, realizing I wasn't in any better condition than he was. Finally he just shrugged, turning towards me.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," he said taking a sip of his beer and running his hand nonchalantly through his short, light brown hair. A small smile graced my lips.

"I'll believe just about anything," I replied expertly. Now all of his attention was on me. He scanned me, a small smile settling on his face.

"You're surprisingly open-minded," he said laughing lightly. I shrugged.

"Naturally," I said flicking my hand in confirmation.

"Well," he started, taking one last swig of his beer before sitting the empty bottle down. "How 'bout I take you back to my place and I'll explain everything there."

"I'm assuming something else is going to come before the explaining?" He let out a small huff of laughter.

"You are one smart little bitch," he said offering me his hand. I slipped my jacket on, laying money down on the counter before taking his outstretched hand and letting him lead me out of the bar.