Chapter 5

Ella was on her way back to the Claudia's house when her car started to slow down. She had had a rather busy day and she had asked Claudia to pick Josh up from his school.

   She had just checked the car on Wednesday and it was Monday. What could be wrong with it? The car was going even slower and then she felt it wobble. She wondered what was going on. She saw the person in the car beside hers waving at her, trying to get her attention. When she looked the person pointed in the direction of her tyres and mouthed "Flat tyre". Crap.

   She picked up her phone and got out of the car. She examined the exterior of her car and realised that she indeed had a flat tyre. Great. Leaning against the car, she dialled the number to the Body Shop. She listened to it ring about four times before somebody finally picked up.

"Martin's Body Shop." The person who had picked up said. He didn't sound familiar.

"Hello. Is Jon there?" She asked.

"No, he isn't. Do you have a message for him?"

"Is there a way I can reach him. It's really urgent." She replied.

"I could try to reach him on his cell." The guy offered. "Find out where he is and if he's available."

"Alright. Please get back to me as quickly as possible. I'm kinda stranded. It's a car problem."

"Will do, ma'am."

  She hung up and got back into her car and sat until her phone rang again.

*****

  Jon was just on his way out of the house to go pick Leah up for their date when his phone rang. He saw that it was the Body Shop. He knew Moses was handling calls for the afternoon and he had specifically told him that he was unavailable for the rest of the day.

"Moses." Jon said when he picked up the phone.

"Hey, boss." He started hesitantly. "I know you said you were unavailable, but she called."

Jon frowned. "She?"

"Yeah. Brown hair, beautiful smile." He said dreamily. Jon started. Emma had called? "She sounded real urgent. She said she was stranded."

Emma was stranded? And she was calling him? What the hell  was going on? "I'm coming to the Shop right now."

When he got to the Shop, he picked up the receiver of the phone and dialled the last number in the call log. She picked on the first ring and he realised that she had just been sitting there, waiting for his call.

"Hello." She said, in a harried voice.

"Emma? What's going on?" He asked, trying to sound calm. He wondered absently why he wasn't feeling as calm as he ought to. After all, it was just a work associated call. They had gotten so many of these.

"Hey, Jon. I'm sorry to be disturbing you." She said. "But I have a flat tyre and I'm on the road." She said this just as he heard the loud honk of a huge vehicle.

"Where are you?"

  She told him where she was and he told her to wait for him. He ran back to the house to change out of his blue button down and jeans that he was wearing and threw on a black polo and some faded jeans. Then he called Leah to ask if they could reschedule as something important had come up. She was surprisingly cool about it.

  He and Moses set out in the company truck. He spotted the navy blue car parked by the side of the road from afar, but he saw no sign of her. He thought that she was probably inside the car. When he pulled up in front of her car and got out, he saw that to be true.