Chapter 10

Jon was eating dinner with his mother when her call came through. He excused himself from the table and walked away to take the call. He was confused as to why she was calling him now, but the only way to find out was to take the call.

"Hello." He answered.

"Hey, Jon." She sounded unsure. Of what? He couldn't help but wonder.

"What's going on? Is everything okay?"

"Yes. Umm, yeah. Everything's fine." He waited for her to keep talking but she didn't.

"Emma?" He asked. He had gotten to his bedroom now.

"Yes. Jon, I just wanted to find out..." Her voice trailed off. He decided not to hurry her up. Let her get comfortable. She cleared her throat. "I wanted to find out if the offer's still on the table?"

Jon smiled. The offer? Adorable. "You mean the date that you turned down?" He was messing with her now. He wanted nothing more than to be there to see her cheeks turn pink with embarrassment.

"Umm, yeah?"

"Well, I can't right now, Emma." Jon said.

"Oh okay. I understand." She replied.

"Emma. I'm kidding." Jon stated. "Of course it's still open." He said.

"Oh okay. Thanks." She said. He literally couldn't stop smiling. She was thanking him for the opportunity to go on a date with him. She was good for his ego.

"Is Friday night okay for you?"

"That's the day after tomorrow?"

"That would be right."

"It's good for me. You?"

"I asked, didn't I?" Jon teased.

"Alright, see you Friday night."

"Yeah. It's a date." He said and chuckled.

"It wasn't that funny." He heard her say. He laughed some more. She was learning.

"I thought it was."

"Of course you would." Ella said and he could imagine her rolling her eyes.

"Bye, Emma."

"Yes, bye." She hung up.

****

Ella got off the phone to see Jasmine smiling sheepishly at her. "You know what this means, right?"

Ella's panic was instant. It was never good news when Jasmine smiled like that. "What?" Jasmine just leaned closer to her and wiggled her eyebrows at her. Ella's eyes widened. "No!" She exclaimed, horrified.

"Yes." Jasmine said, nodding.

"No, I refuse to go shopping with you!"

Jasmine stood up and took her empty plate to the sink. "It's cute really, the fact that you think you have a choice."

When she came back to the table. She turned to Ella. "So, tell me about this guy."

"Well, his name is Jon." Ella said. She wasn't willing to divulge too much information. Especially, the fact that he was her mechanic.

"What else? Where did you guys meet?"She asked. "Wait, where did you go today?" She snapped her fingers. "You met him when you went to check your car?"

"Yes."

"What kind of car does he drive?"

Ella shot Jasmine a look. Why was this a relevant question. "I don't know."