Chapter 12

"Jon? Who was that?" His mother asked as she walked into the living room wearing a loose-fitting dress that made her look like a hippie. Her brown hair was up in a messy bun.

"Umm." He said, wondering whether to tell her the truth or just make something up. "It was Leah."

His mother looked taken aback. "Leah? I assumed you two hadn't hit it off?" A look of realization crossed his mother's face. "Is she the girl you've been seeing?"

Jon frowned. "How do you know I've been seeing a girl?"

"I am your mother, young man. I notice things." She replied, practically beaming with pride. "So who have you been seeing?"

"What if you don't know her, mom?" He asked.

"At least, just tell me her name." She replied.

He sighed. Again, he wondered if he should just tell her who she was. He didn't even know how she would feel about it. "Mom. It's Emma."

"Who's Emma?"

"Ella." He said. Her eyes widened and Jon watched as they softened and a smile formed on her face.

"Aww! I love her." She cooed. Then she hit his arm. "I can't believe you kept this from me."

"I wanted to be sure, mom." He said quietly.

"And are you?"

"I really like her. That's what I can say for now." He said and looked at his mother and she was still smiling softly.

"So what did Leah want?" His mother asked, looking in the direction of the door.

"A friend." Jon replied, and then he explained the situation, leaving out the almost kiss part.

Julie shook her head sadly. "Poor thing." She said.

****

"Hey, Jon!" Ella shouted from the kitchen.

"Yeah." He answered. He was in the living room. He had tried to help her out with dinner, but she had kept slapping his hand away. Then she pulled her to him and kissed him senseless. After that, she had told him to get out of her kitchen.

"Please, help me check on Josh. He's been too quiet in there." She replied.

"Alright." He got up from the surprisingly comfortable couch. Josh was in the bathroom, taking a bath. Ella had to make dinner and he didn't like his baths to be rushed.

Jon walked into the bathroom and the sight he saw made him burst out laughing. The little boy was sitting in his mini tub, soaking in a tub of water. His head was resting on one end of the tub and his eyes were closed. The little boy was asleep.

  When he started laughing, the boy stirred. He seemed to notice where he was and he jumped awake, sloshing water from the tub to the ground. When he saw Jon laughing, his little face crumpled. That wiped the smile of Jon's face and he moved to the tub to comfort him.

"Hey, hey. You're okay." He said to Josh. The little boy was still fighting tears. Jon felt like an ass, although he didn't know if Josh's tears were caused by embarrassment or confusion. He just knew that he looked so adorably sad and he hoped he had not been the cause of that.

"Did I miss dinner?" Josh asked. "Is mommy mad at me?"

"No and no. She just asked to check on you because you've been quiet. Are you done taking a bath?"

He nodded. He still looked sad but he didn't look like he was crying anymore. "I don't like it when mommy is mad at me."

"She isn't mad at you." Jon said and held out the towel for him.