Chapter 15

Please vote, let's try and get this book to a hundred votes. Please. Thank you!

***

Later that night, Jon unlocked the door and walked into the dark living room of his parents' house. He sighed and dropped his keys into the red tray on the table near the door. He was still overwhelmed by all the information he had received earlier. He could only imagine how his brother felt.

As he climbed the stairs to his bedroom, he heard the sounds of his mother's sewing machine. He looked at his watch. It was a few minutes past eleven o'clock. It was too early for his mother to be asleep. He really needed to talk to somebody. He also felt it was prudent to let his brother know the whole story.

"Hey mom," He said as he poked his head into the sewing room. She took off her glasses and turned in her chair to talk to him.

"Hey, baby," She said. "You look really tired," His mother smirked and wiggled her eyebrows at him. "What have you been up to?"

He smiled a tired smile at her. She was always up to no good. "Mom, we need to talk."

She frowned at him. "You're awfully serious," She said, her tone confused.

"It's about Jude."

"Then call him to come here," Julia said. "He didn't go on his date anymore. Said the girl stood him up."

Jon pulled his phone out of his pocket and called his brother.

"What?" Jude asked when he picked up.

"Come to mom's sewing room. We need to talk," He told his brother.

"I have no interest," Jude said.

"Just get your ass over here," Jon said in a tone that brooked no argument. Jude might be older than him but he knew when things were serious.

Jude ambled lazily into the room. He glared at Jon. "What did you want?"

"I spoke to Emma," Jon said.

"I assume you do that a lot," Jude deadpanned. "Why would that be any concern of mine?"

"Because she told me what happened between you and Jasmine," Jon said, pinning Jude with a stare.

"But you already knew what happened with me and Jasmine," Jude replied. "I loved her and she cheated on me. What else is there to tell?"

Jon faced his mother. "She cheated on him. That much is true, but Jude wasn't the most attentive boyfriend," Jon said, and then proceeded to relay the story to his mother.

When he was done, his mother looked positively pained. She hadn't even heard the worst of it yet. He continued.

"About a week after her father died, Jasmine found out she was pregnant," Jon said and he heard his mother gasp. Jude's eyes widened.

"No fucking way," Jude said. Jon felt bad for his brother. All this must be hard on him.

"Better believe it," Jon said. "Add that to having lost her father who she was very close to. Imagine how she felt," Jon said and wondered why he was getting so attached. "She lost the baby though, about a month later."

"Fuck," Jude swore. The room became so silent, the sound of a needle hitting the ground might have deafened them. Then Jude jumped up from the chair that he had dropped into. "She's lying," He growled.

Jon sent a hard glare his way. "Why would she be lying?"

"Because she's a manipulative bitch, that's why!" Jude shouted. He was shouting and trying to sound angry, but Jon knew better. And his eyes were telling the whole story. Jude was afraid.