We Say Summer

Alex's POV:

I decided it was time to call up Lisa. If I wanted Marina, I needed to show her that I was done with the Lisa portion of my life.  I found her number in my recent calls. Recent, ha. She was one of the last on the list. It rang twice, then picked up.

"Hey." She answered, as blandly as ever.

"Lisa, we gotta talk." I began.

"That's funny. We haven't talked all summer." She didn't seem mad or even the slightest bit agitated. 

"Yeah. I mean what we have going is great and stuff, having that person to rely on, but I don't really want this anymore. I want more out of a relationship." I said.

"What kind of more are we talking?" She seemed interested in a compromise.

"The more as in us not together any more." I put some emphasis on the second more.

She sighed. "Are you sure? I mean, when you get home things will be better. We'll be around each other and we'll want to put effort into this."

"We've been through this cycle a million times. When I go back on tour again in the fall, it'll go back to the exact same shit. I'm not bitter or anything. But we're not in love anymore and that's something I want."

"Well I guess if you want to give up on us then that's for the right reason. But Alex, don't you dare say there's someone else." Her tone became more angry.

"I swear there isn't." I lied. As much as Lisa deserved better, and Marina wanted me to leave Lisa for the right reasons, I couldn't. I was selfish. I wanted Marina and Lisa was the second best thing.

"Well then it's whatever. Honestly, if you're not happy in this situation then I'm not gonna hold you back." She said.

"Thanks. I'll let you know how the future goes." 

"I look forward to hearing it. Catch you later Alligator."

"In a while Crocodile."

And we both hung up. I stood from the couch, heading out towards Marina's bus. I had planned this strategically. I would go in and ask her to Warped Prom, then tell her all the good news tonight and maybe take her to bed, if she chose me. I knocked three times on her door.

Emily opened. "Alex! Wazzup?"

I smiled. "I'm having a good day. Where's Marina?"

"She's just in the shower. You can wait for her." She ushered me in. "I have to go meet Zack. He has a suprise for me. Probably a Prom proposal." She headed out.

I sat on the couch. For some reason, no one was ever on the bus except Marina. She hardly went out besides playing, or if she was with me and I suggested co-mingling. For such a social butterfly at parties or just with me or the fans, she sure didn't get out much. I heard the shower stop. There were a few more moments before she came out. She was dressed in light skinny jeans with a baby blue tank top.

"Alex! I didn't expect you! How are you?" She asked, wringing out her hair in the tribal print towel.

"I'm fantastic. How are you?" I asked.

"Wonderful, wonderful. I'm really excited for prom tonight." She rubbed some lotion on her tanned arms.

My heart beat out of my chest. I could hardly breathe with anticipation. "Are you going with anyone?"

"Yeah, actually. Levi asked me a few days ago." She replied.

My heart sank. So much for the plan. I needed to devise a new one. In the meantime, I had to keep the conversation going. "Aw, damn! I wanted to bring you!"

"There's always next year." She put on some pink lipstick. "And I still have my real prom to go to anyway. You could come to that."

No, that wouldn't work for my plan. It's two years off. Okay, so here was the deal. Tonight, I would wait until late to grab her from Levi and tell her I broke up with Lisa. Then, if she chose me, we could continue our relationship. Yes, that would be the plan.

"Marina, why do you always stay on the bus?" I finally asked. 

"As fun as it is to talk to people out there, I like being myself. I like being alone or with the people that know me without having to put on the 'I'm so arrogant' act. I like being with you or the girls where I can be the effervescent, kind-hearted Marina that I love."

I loved her too.

_________________________________________________________

It was later. Much much later. I was searching the less-crowded party for Marina. I had the words almost dripping from my mouth, so anxious to be said. "Marina, I want you. Do you want me?" Although I lied to Lisa about there not being something else, I told the truth about wanting more. I wanted to fall in love, and Marina could give me that. Fuck, I didn't want just love. I wanted her. I wanted to fall in love with her, and see every little inch of that body, and see every little piece of her. I wanted to know all her little habits and secrets. I wanted all of her. I prayed and begged that she might want me too.

I couldn't find her. She probably left. Well, knowing her, she'd be on her bus. I decided to head over. The lights were on. I knocked on the door. If she wasn't there, someone would be able to tell me where she was. I was excited for an answer. I knocked.

There was giggling, and a man's chuckle. I wasn't ready for what came next.

Marina stood there in a silken slip, black lace around the edges. The light shun in back of her, illuminating her skin. My eyes adjusted just as her giggling smile faded. "Alex, what are you doing here so late?"

I was at a loss for words, trying to make sense of all this. "I-ah, I don-n't know."

"It's late. I was just heading to bed-"

"With Levi." Was all I interjected with.

We were both silent. I couldn't process her leaving me for someone else. I couldn't bear it. 

"Alex, you should go home." She started to shut the door.

"I thought I was."

She paused. "What am I supposed to say?"

At that, I walked.

I thought all the walk back to the bus. Obviously, she had made up her mind too. I started to cry. I wanted something so badly that I couldn't have. I realized I'd made a mistake. I dialled my most recent call.

"Hey." Lisa said, again.

"I changed my mind. I was rash today. I love what we have going. I want to keep it going."

"Sounds good to me."

"Alright. I'm going to bed. I love you." I lied. What a liar I had become.

"I love you too." Well, at least I wasn't the only liar.

*

There's not much to say. You'll get the explaination next chapter. Question: Was Alex justified in wanting both girls? Aight. -LoryXD