Chapter 21

My dad clasps my hand in his tightly as the ceremony ends. Everyone around us files out of the funeral home, leaving my dad and I alone to stare at the brown wooden coffin in front of us. Unable to control my emotions any longer, tears pour out of my eyes with no signs of stopping any time soon. My mom is actually gone. Forever. When I received the phone call from Melissa, I felt reality come crashing down on me. I never got to say goodbye to my mom. I should have been there that day. I should have been with her except I wasn't, I was fighting with Zayn over me being stupid.

Dad releases my hand before standing up and walking out of the funeral home without a second look back. His shoulders are slumped over because he can't find a reason to stand up straight like he used to. He lost the love of his life. I don't blame him.

I climb to my feet, eyes locked on my mom's coffin. One hand smoothes out my black dress while the other one is held up near my lips. I blow a kiss at my mom's coffin, afraid to try and say anything. Outside of the funeral home is crowded with family, friends, and even nurses from the hospital. Everyone that knew about my mom came to say their last goodbyes.

A few people come up to me giving their sympathy that I don't want. I don't want them to feel sorry for me. They say they understand, but they don't. None of them do. People begin to pile in their cars, and driving off to live their own lives. Their own happy lives while I mourn over the loss of my mom.

Dad stumbles over to me with blurred vision from the tears piled in his eyes, holding a white envelope in his hands. "It's from your mom." He hands the envelope to me. "Go ahead and open it."

Frowning, I slide my pointer finger under the flap to open the envelope. I push it open to find two pieces of paper, two small cards, and a necklace. I grab the thicker piece of paper first. She wrote me a letter. Adjusting all of the papers in my hands, I read the letter. My mouth drops open when I finish it. I quickly grasp the other piece of paper to see it is a check for twenty five thousand dollars.

I shake my head at the check unable to process everything. "No, I can't take this." I attempt to hand everything back to my dad.

"Mom wanted you to have it. She's been saving up for years. It was originally supposed to be your college fund, but she knew how much you always wanted to go to England." Dad shoves the papers back to me. "This was her last wish."

"I-I just can't leave." I gaze up at my dad.

"Yes, you can." Dad points at the check. "That will help you. Your mother and I agreed to do this when she was diagnosed. You did a make deal with her." He reminds me. "She talked to your friends over there when she made you Skype Louis. She asked for them to let you live with them because she knew she didn't have much longer."

"D-Dad..." I start crying harder at everything. How can he expect me to take this money and go to England? I know I made the deal with my mom, but I don't think I can do it.

Dad kisses my forehead and hugs me. "I'll see you at Christmas. Your Visa card and passport to move there is in the envelope. I love you so much. Do this for mom. Make her happy up in heaven."

I've been thinking about what my dad said all day. I did make a promise to my mom that I wouldn't let anything hold me back. I can't break that promise, not now. I glance back over at my phone lying on the bedside table. I have to do this.

Picking up my phone, I perch myself on the edge of the the bed, searching for a certain contact number. My thumb hovers above the green phone button for a few seconds until I get enough courage to press down. I lift the phone to my ear while listening to it ring.