Chapter 2

My alarm clock blares loudly throughout my small bedroom. I groan and cover my head with my pillow. Nope. I can still hear it. I throw my pillow off of me and slam my hand down on my alarm clock. The sound stops immediately. Much better. I really want to go back to sleep, but I really want to visit my mom.

I swing my legs off of my bed and sit up. Seven o'clock in the morning. Way too early to be up. Oh well. I'll get over it. I stand up and make my way to my bathroom connected to my room. I take a quick shower and get dressed. The hospital is always cold, so I make sure to grab my favorite hoodie.

After an hour and a half drive, I make it to the hospital. I hate this place. I'm never here for a good reason except to visit my mom. Every time I visit her it is sad. My dad is always sitting in a chair next to her bed, holding her hand. Sometimes, she wears her wig, but other times, she doesn't even bother. It's heart-wrenching to see your mom practically on her deathbed.

I head up to the fifth floor to the cancer section. I've been in this hospital practically everyday for the past year. All of the nurses know me. They always know that I call around two in the afternoon everyday to check up on my mom. I would call my dad, but he always gets choked up when I talk to him about mom. I don't want him to cry.

I stop at the nurse's station to see Melissa, my mom's main nurse, typing something on the computer. "Hi, Melissa." I greet her.

Melissa looks up from her computer screen. "Oh, hello. How have you been?"

"Fine. How is she?" I rock back and forth on my feet.

"She's doing good. The doctor came in yesterday and said that she has been improving since her last treatment. All of her vitals are normal. Your mom is doing really well." Melissa informs me with a smile on her face.

I nod my head, taking the information in. "Thanks. I'm going to go see her."

I walk over to my mom's room and knock on the door quietly. If she is sleeping I don't want to wake her up. I hear a faint 'come in' from my mom. I open the door and push aside the curtain. My mom is laying in her hospital bed with my dad right next to her.

She has her long, curly brunette wig on her head. Her skin is pale as a ghost. Mom looks even more fragile than last week. It looks like she lost more weight. Mom can't be more than a hundred pounds. An IV needle is going through the vein in the top of her hand.

"Hi, baby!" Mom grins at me.

I bite my lip to keep my emotions in. I told myself that I would never cry in front of my mom. "Hi, mom. How are you feeling today?"

I bend down to hug my mom, gently. Her frail arms wrap around my waist. I walk to the other side of her bed and hug my dad. I drag a chair from the other side of the wall and sit down next to her bed.

"Same as always." Mom shrugs her bony shoulders. "How's work?"

I grab my mom's right hand in mine. "It's going really well. Today, I get to be Wendy with Tanner as Peter Pan."

"Oh! Tanner! How is he? I haven't seen his mother in a while." Mom smiles.

I love seeing a smile on my mom's face. For the first few months after she was diagnosed all she did was frown. Now every time I visit her she has a small smile on her face. It amazes me at how strong she has been through all of this.

"Tanner has been really good. He proposed to Nikki last Sunday." I tell her.

My mom's whole face lights up. "I have to go to that wedding. I don't care if you have to wheel me in on my bed. I'm going." She says in determination.