Chapter Seventen: Noya-senpai!

"Uh... K-Kageyama-kun?" Sayuri asks carefully, eyes on her feet as she walks beside the boy.

Now isn't the best time to ask but she doesn't have much longer before they separate to make the rest of the way home. They'd taken to walking part of the way home together lately.

"What?" Kageyama snaps.

He's been in a foul mood all week. Sayuri doesn't blame him. Kageyama isn't the the type to get sad and seem sad like her. He's the type to get sad and seem angry. So he's been snapping and yelling at people more than ever since he confronted Hinata the other night.

"I, uh, was wondering since... Miko and Hinata aren't talking to me if you would come with me to a photo shoot this weekend." She replies, eyes still on the floor as she rushes to get the last part of her request out.

She's a little embarrassed about asking him. She's not even sure if Kageyama considers her a friend but he's the only friend she has right now. Well, she considers Hinata a friend still but she isn't sure if he'd accept and she doesn't feel comfortable asking him with Miko there. She'd convince Hinata not to go like she has before when Sayuri almost made a new friend.

Kageyama's eyes widen and he looks over at the girl. His anger at the world has disappeared for a moment and he gives her an odd half smile before nodding. "I'll come with you."

Sayuri looks up as well and gives a large grin in return. Kageyama said yes!

She'd never been to a shoot on her own, always asking a friend to come to calm her nerves. Even if they just sat and talked about homework it helps her calm down. Sayuri really didn't want to ask her mum either as she's busy helping a friend with a wedding this week. Her mum would definitely have come if she asked but Sayuri's glad that she won't need to distract her.

"Thank you, Kageyama-kun!"

Kageyama just nods and Sayuri can't help but giggle at his lack of social skills. Not that she minds. Kageyama is still a better friend than Miko ever was. Kageyama is rude and a bit scary but at least he isn't horrible.

"I'll be at your house at ten on Sunday, is that okay?" She asks, wanting to make sure that he could definitely come.

Kageyama nods.

Sayuri smiles widely.

"Hey... Sayuri?" Kageyama asks after a few moments.

"Yes, Kageyama-kun?"

He hesitates a moment before asking "Why are you a model? You get scared and nervous before every shoot. It must make you uncomfortable. It doesn't seem like a good job if it makes you feel that way."

"Hmm. Well, the first few shoots I did just for the money. I wanted to earn my own money and being paid for someone to take your picture seemed like a great idea. There's more work to it than that, of course, and I... Well, I'm not sure. I just sort of ended up loving the way it makes me feel at the end of it all and I see the pictures of me." She shrugs. "So I guess, in the end, it's worth getting nervous about."

Kageyama nods even though he still doesn't quite get how it could be worth while when she needs someone with her to help handle those nerves. Apparently his thoughts show on his face because the girl giggles again.

"Think of it this way," Sayuri says "before a game, you're nervous but you're not going to not play just because of that, are you? It's nerve wracking and scary but that will never overcome the feeling you get when you play and it'll definitely never compare to how it feels when you see the score at the end and you've won."

Kageyama's eyes widen as if he'd just been told the meaning of life itself. He nods, completing understanding now Sayuri had put it that way. "I get it!"