Chapter Twenty: Warmth.

The shoot goes well. It's not hard to distract Sayuri from her nerves. She's even laughing with them as they mess around. Kageyama's happy for her. If the nerves she feels running up to this is like the nerves they feel running up to a game then he's beyond pleased to be able to take her mind off of it. Hinata hugs her before she goes.

This time there's no awkwardness when they're left alone. And no annoying girls. They don't discuss anything, just make casual conversation. Without realising it, they organise the plans that Hinata claimed they had earlier to whatever her name was.

Kageyama smiles more in the short time he's with Hinata than he has in the whole of the year so far - well, excluding that day they went cave exploring, maybe.

Everyone is exhausted by the time they're back in the car. Sayuri sits in the front sit like before and within five minutes she's dosed off. The conversation drops too, none of them willing to risk waking her. Kageyama had no idea how much energy it took for her to do this. She's amazing, really. All her school work and then this job on top of it. Sayuri has such dedication. You can't not admire her no matter how hard you try.

Kageyama smiles at Hinata when his eyes leave the sleeping girl. Hinata quickly looks away, blushing. Kageyama's smile widens when he realises that he just caught Hinata staring.

He wants to lean over and kiss his cheek but he doesn't want to upset Sayuri's father. It'd be rude to expose him to PDA in his own car regardless of Hinata's gender... as tempting as it is.

Kageyama's brain reminds him that Hinata needs to explain some things to him and he'd quite like to get some things off of his chest too. He's not as selfish as he used to be, not by a long shot, but he's pretty sure in this case he's allowed a few selfish moments. He was so sure that Hinata was going to be his boyfriend just to receive a lot of mixed signals. Hinata hurt him and Kageyama needs him to know that.

Not right now, though. Not tonight. Tonight he's just going to let himself be happy that Hinata seems to be coming back to him in some way.

They have Sayuri to thank for that.

Kageyama hopes to any almighty being that may exist that he won't get the rug pulled from under him tomorrow when he attempts to get answers from Hinata.

Glancing at Hinata, Kageyama bites his lip before he subtly slides his hand over Hinata's own. The other boy tenses for a second before he relaxes and turns his palm so their hands fit together more comfortably.

A lot has happened over the past month.

Kissing Hinata in that cave. Sharing the bed. Buying him that volleyball. This falling out over... whatever the hell it was about.

It can all be summarised in such short phrases. It feels like it's been a long and complicated, though. At least, it does to Kageyama. He still doesn't understand a lot of it and that means that it isn't quite over. He just prays that it is very nearly over.

He still needs to give Hinata the volleyball and make this official. Him and Hinata. Hinata and Kageyama. A couple. Boyfriends. That go on dates and holds hands like this and who kiss and giggle when their parents ask if they're okay up there when they accidently roll off the bed and make a loud thump.

Kageyama bites his lip. Don't be getting ahead of yourself just yet, Tobio.

Kageyama gently squeezes the hand that rests in his. He gets a squeeze in response too. They glance at each other briefly before Hinata looks away with a deep blush. Kageyama lets himself stare at Hinata for a while.

That stupid (perfect) messy hair. The annoying (beautiful) eyes that are just so full of life. The weird (cute) little smile.

Kageyama blinks. Smile.