Chapter Three: Thoughts

Kageyama woke with a gasp, clutching at his chest and panting heavily as if he'd just run a marathon or.. had a nightmare. Frowning, Kageyama presses a hand to his forehead as he allows his breathing to slow.

What the hell kind of dream was that? He wouldn't exactly call it a nightmare.. But, God, what was that?!

He hadn't had a dream with Hinata in before. Yet, in this dream, Hinata took up so much of it. The whole damn lot of it.

The scary thing was... It was so real.

Kageyama looks down at his hand before falling back down on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. Blinking, he glances over at the clock. 5:39AM. No point going back to sleep now, the alarm would be going off in twenty minutes.

Sighing to himself, Kageyama rests one hand on his stomach and the other behind his head as he stares up at the ceiling again.

That dream...

He has no idea what to make of it. It wasn't confusing or complicated but it confused Kageyama like something complicated would.

Without realising it, Kageyama slides his eyes closed and thinks about the dream.

Hinata's words from yesterday's practise had been repeated and then, after practise, instead of going home like they actually did dream-Hinata and dream-Kageyama went to a nearby park and sat on the swings. They talked and talked for hours, discussing their sexuality. Hinata had always said that he didn't know and Kageyama replied with same, saying he'd never liked anyone either. Then, like the lightening bolt of energy he is, Hinata jumped up and said 'Let's find out if we like boys, Kageyama!' and then... then he leant in as if going to kiss Kageyama.

It ended there. Kageyama woke up in this breathless state.

It was true, Kageyama realised. The dream-him said that he'd never liked anyone before and that was true. He'd never been interested as all that mattered to him was Volleyball. He'd assumed he was straight but never gave it any thought.

He supposes, it's not impossible. How would he go about finding out though? Because it's a rather big thing to just not know about yourself.

Images of Hinata leaning in to kiss him come to mind and he shifts.

What the hell? Is he really thinking that kissing his teammate is a good way to find out if he likes guys?

No. That's a very bad idea. Besides, if Kageyama did kiss Hinata and not like it, it didn't mean that he wasn't into boys. It would just mean that he wasn't into Hinata - which he's sure, without a kiss, is the case. Hinata's an annoying squirt that, when he got the chance, he'd crush and defeat in a match (although the idea of them not being on the same team and not being able to do their freak quick was rather upsetting, oddly).

Kageyama is ripped from his thoughts as his alarm start to beep rapidly, causing him to flinch in fright. He hadn't realise so much time had passed. Not needing to think much about his actions, Kageyama jumps up from his bed and sets about preparing for his day, all thoughts of him possibly liking guys pushed to the back of his mind for now.

 Of course, he's reminded of everything when he walks into the gym to see Hinata chatting to girl #2. She was much, much less annoying than girl #1 and if anything, he felt sorry that she had to put up with such an irritating person but still... Why did she have to talk to Hinata? Would she be shouting encouragement and stealing his chance to praise Hinata as well?

 Before Kageyama can get close to Hinata and the girl he was talking to, the two separate and girl #2 leaves the gym after shooting Hinata a large grin and waving. She nods her head at Kageyama as she passes him, blushing slightly. 

She was rather awkward. Kageyama knew this from all the times he'd heard Noya and Tanaka talking about the two girls and how their 'flirting' went. This one, girl #2, was quiet and shy and blushed all the time. She was basically just a shadow that followed her friend around. Although, today, her friend was obviously not here. 

Kageyama nods back at her, deciding that he didn't mind her so much. It was the other loud one that pissed him off, really. When he thinks about it, girl #2 only shouted out to Hinata when forced to by girl #1. 

It doesn't take long for practise to get underway. Nothing remarkable happens. It's all very normal.. Noya and Hinata laugh too much at silly things, Suga tries to gentally calm them before Daichi becomes scary and gets everyone to refocus.

Kageyama couldn't have asked for, really.

When practise comes to an end, Kageyama waits for Hinata as usual and they begin the walk home. 

It then Kageyama realises the atmosphere between them has shifted slightly. So slightly that he hadn't noticed it during practise but did now they were alone. Hinata was being unusually quiet. A thought kind of quiet. 

Curious, Kageyama glances at the other boy from the corner of his eye. While silence was nice and Kageyama actually enjoyed peace and quiet, this didn't feel right. Hinata was loud and bright, that's how it had always been.. and even if Kageyama did get occasionally annoyed by the hyperactivity of the other, he didn't mind it when the orange-haired rambled on. 

"All right?" He asks before he can really think about it. 

Hinata's eyes widen and he looks up from the floor (where he'd been watching his feet, absorbed in his own mind). "Huh?"

Rolling his eyes, Kageyama repeats himself. "All right?"

"Uhhh..." Hinata looks confused, as if actually questioning why Kageyama was asking such a simple question. "Um. Yes?" He answers eventually, sounding like he was asking a question. 

"You're quiet" Kageyama explains, eyes forward now. The flicker over to the gate of a park as they pass, however, flashing of his dream returning to him. He's quick to look forward again. 

Hinata twists, looking over his shoulder as he continued to push his bike. "What are you looking at?"

"Nothing" Kageyama sighs. "You didn't say why you're being quiet"

"I'm not being quiet!" Hinata rushes out his words, sounding defensive - like being quiet was a crime. 

"Hm" Kageyama hums, acting disinterested. 

It's quiet for some time, their footsteps echoing down the street as they walk. They were approaching the point where they usually separate to go to their own homes and Kageyama feels an odd pulling sensation in his chest. He frowns and wraps a hand around the strap of his bag, by the origin of the feeling.

He.. wanted to stay. Why did he want that? He's never cared before whether he stayed in Hinata's presence before. Kageyama quickly dismisses the thought, ruling it as the dream affecting him. 

"I've been thinking..." Hinata drawls, looking up with that far away expression he often has. 

"Shocker.." Kageyama replies, smirking when Hinata yells 'hey!'. 

Recovering from a short sulk, Hinata looks to Kageyama with wide eyes. "I've been thinking about what I said to Miko. About not knowing if I like guys..."

Kageyama has to stop himself from looking panicked and so he just shifts his bag, glancing at the other. "What about it?"

Hinata talks as if carrying on with his own thoughts, rather than replying to Kageyama's question. "It's like.. How would I even start to find out? I can't just kiss a random guy. Not liking one guy doesn't mean I'm not attracted to men. And... I've never liked a girl" He pauses before laughing. "Girls are annoying"

Another glance. "Why are you telling me this?"

"Do you like girls or boys, Kageyama?" 

Kageyama stops walking and stares. He grabs Hinata by the hair before he thinks. "Don't just ask people questions like that, dumbass!" 

"Ahhh... Kage-- Kageyama! You're hurting me!" Hinata cries out, trying to grab Kageyama's hand and pull in away from his hair. 

Shoving the other away, Kageyama stalks off towards his house before Hinata can recover from the shove. He does glance back, however, to see Hinata dusting off his shorts with a frown before he gets on his bike and rides off down the hill.