IV - Will Turner

Maria Swann POV
It's been about a week since I first arrived at Port Royal.. being around Captain Norrington is turning from strange and awkward, to pleasant and comfort. Father also insist for us to spend time together to get rid of my shyness and it seems to somewhat work as I often speak with Captain Norrington without becoming a flushed, stuttering mess that I usually would act.. Captain and I often spoke about Shakespeare and sometimes reenact some part for fun, if he's not busy with this duties and paperwork, which he is constantly being buried with for so long. I would help him without his knowledge as I would help my father with his own paperwork to spend a few moments to enjoy each other's company. This time though, he was to go on a voyage and I am going to use this moment to spend time with my sister.. but she's often no where to be found... I decided to ask her where she's been all this time and she answers that she had been seeing a friend of her's, a boy around her age that was saved and she took care of him when she was on the voyage here to Port Royal.. the boy was a victim of an attack of a pirate, and Captain Norrinton was just a Lieutenant at that time. So, for today, I would be coming along to meet the gentleman she helped saved. I in similar colors from when I first came here, but the design was lightweight and the style is same as I wear for everyday. "Mari, are you ready?" Elizabeth asks as she came to my room. "yes. I just need my gloves and my parasol." I say as I had tied my hair in a lose low ponytail and then came over to my trunk full of parasols and gloves that varies in different colors. I picked up my back gloves, placed them on my hands, then choose my black parasol. "bloody hell.. you sure have a variety of gloves and parasols at hand." Elizabeth says as she came over my shoulder. "well, I can't be seen with gloves and parasols that doesn't fit the colors of my dress.. I would look rather odd." I reason and she chuckles "you're already an odd one." she comments then took my gloved hand and hurried out. I had some difficulty opening my parasol with one hand as she drag me closer and closer to the door. She enters the carriage first, while I took my time to come in then close my parasol.

The carriage ride was a rather odd silence but I could feel the excited aura that came from Elizabeth. We had stopped at the Blacksmith's shop and I was tad curious why we would be here. Once we enter, there was barely anyone. There was a drunk man sleeping with a bottle at hand and the place looks rather empty. "Miss Swann..?" a younger male voice asks and I turn at the direction of the voice. "Will, how many times do I have to tell you to call me Elizabeth?" Elizabeth says "a thousand pardons, Miss Swann." the man says "Will, I would like you to meet my younger sister, Maria Swann. Maybe each time that we are together, you would finally call me by my name to lessen the confusion." Elizabeth says and I curtsied as my name was said "Nice to meet you." I say, trying as hard not to stutter. "Will Turner, young Miss Swann. Pleased to meet you as well." Mr. Turner says then I notice that he held a hand for me to shake. But I stepped behind Elizabeth a bit. "She's still a bit shy around people she just met. Though, father and I have hope she would grow out of it as she spends time with Captain Norrington.. she's already grown use to his presence and some others of the Royal Navy.." Elizabeth explains and Mr. Turner withdrew his hand. "I see.. well, it may be a bit late, but.. Welcome to Port Royal, young Miss Swann." Mr. Turner say and I nod in thanks. It took me a while to take in my surroundings.. I then unconsciously questioned.. "How are these swords made..?" it was but a soft whisper, but it was heard by the both of them. "interested in learning a thing or two about forging a sword?" Mr. Turner asks and I nod slightly, curious. "I supposed I can show you both how.. I'm currently working on an order. Perhaps, take a safe distance if you wish to observe." he suggest and goes back to work. And as he works, he would start to explain the method in forging a sword, but never losing focus at his task at hand. I start to admire his dedication towards forging.

"It would takes a while to finish that order.. but I hope you've learned something." He says and I nod. "Thank you for the tutorial, Mr. Turner. though, may I have the pleasure in.. perhaps a tutorial to using it?" I ask, cursing the bit of shyness I have left.. "Do you even have knowledge in fencing or sword-fighting?" Elizabeth ask "...I've read books about them.." I say "well, first things first, I'll let you try with a lightweight sword." Mr. Turner says and offers a long-sword and I marveled at the beautiful sword before I took and inspect it first hand. "a beautiful sword, Mr. Turner.. your efforts shine as the blade glitters in the light." I compliment "th-thank you, young Miss." he thanks with great pride and joy. 'I suppose the swords here that he crafted are mostly considered to be the fruits of someone else.. seeing how he reacted..' I thought then felt the long blade with my gloved hand. Mr. Turner and Elizabeth had stepped away to give me some room. I took a position of what details I remembered of a book I once read. Standing a bit off shoulder's width with my lead foot forward.. I relaxed as I held the sword at one hand and my dug the balls of my feet slightly on the ground before I twist the sword and aimed it forward as I level it at my eye level.. I took a back stance, where I bend my knees slightly and put my weight onto my back leg before I sprung forward for a thrust, exchanging my weight to my lead and slide forward a bit, turning my back stance to a forward stance, with my front knee bent and my back leg straight. the sword, thrust straight forward toward the air in front of me, body had lent slightly forward and my other hand at my back to keep my body balanced. "a beautiful thrust for a first timer." Mr. Turner comments and I retreat back to my lady-like posture with a heated face. "th-thank you.. but truthfully, this is the first time I've ever wielded a sword.." I say, bringing the sword forward and swung it slightly. "and you're quite the natural at it." he compliments. I nod in thanks. "what books have you been reading to have done that?" Elizabeth ask "some, I've already long forgotten.. but I do remember reading with something about the arts of sword-fighting from a few literature that I read." I say as I notice Elizabeth grab a sword, but had trouble with it slightly. "books have done you well..." she mutters but was heard. "shall I test you then?" Mr. Turner asks, gaining my attention as he had a sword at hand and in an en garde position. I copy his stance and we duel!

Elizabeth Swann POV
I stand there and watch my sister and Will exchange feints, thrusts and parries. their blades flash and ring, they look like experts at fighting and they seem to be having fun despite the serious look on their faces.. Especially with my sister as I've never seen her so full of seriousness with her eyes narrowed and all. I felt quite surprised when I saw a sword fly and land with a loud clang and I saw my sister had disarmed Will and has the end of her sword pointed at Will's face, who now held his hands up in surrender. Will clapped as Mari lowered her sword. "That was excellent! it's like you have been fighting for a long period of time." Will compliments her with a bright smile and my sister flushed at the compliment. there was an uneasy feeling in my stomach as I watch the scene any further.. "Mari, shall we head home? father should be home and expecting us within an hour.. you should bathe off the sweat and have a change of clothes." I say, gaining their attention. Will had a disappointed look on his face as my sister hand returned the sword to his hand and had agreed while grabbing her parasol along the way towards me. "We should be getting home then. oh, and Mr. Turner, thank you for the lessons. until another time." my sister bids Will farewell and he says his goodbyes to us as well.

as we got home, my sister spoke a bit about telling James of her experience of today when he gets back from his voyage. and another wave of uneasiness and unknown emotion came to my stomach.. it was clear to me that my sister holds a bit of fancy with James, and I'm more than happy that he's been more interested in her as I am more in love with someone else.. I had hope that when the time comes that he would choose his bride, he would choose my sister instead of I.. but when I saw Will had some interest with my sister, it bothers me.... My sister is such a rare beauty, I admit.. but I thought he would hold something for me..

James Norrington POV
as I sailed out into the sea, my thoughts would always go back to the fair maiden that is Maria Swann. She and Elizabeth differ in both appearances and personality as she is a bit more cultured and share several interests with me. Not to mention my heart would skip beats whenever she would glance and smile at me, a feeling I never felt with Elizabeth even before Maria came. We were quickly approaching the docks of Port Royal when I notice someone waiting at the docks. and the parasol gave away the identity of the lady immediately. Seeing her, waiting for me at the docks brought a smile to my face. "you're in a cheery mood so early in the morning, Captain." Groves came to my side to see what, or who I was looking at and then a wide grin appeared on his face "and I can imagine why~ a young lass such be up and awaiting for your return at the docks at this hour, when most still be sleeping." Groves says "the young miss is simply an early riser like I.." I say then we prepare to stop and dock. Once I got off HMS Interceptor, I was greeted warmly with a bright smile by Maria. "Welcome back, Captain Norrington." she curtsies "Thank you for the warm welcome, young miss." I bow in return "Tell me, to what to I owe you the pleasure?" I ask, a bit curious for her to be waiting for me at such an hour. "I wanted to tell you of my time with Elizabeth when she had me meet Mr. Turner while we have a pleasant breakfast I prepared in your office." my face falls at the mention of another man's name left her lips, but I accepted her offer anyways and we both made way to my office and her homemade breakfast had brighten my mood as a thought of her already acting as a wife, my wife, crossed my mind. I listened with great pleasure as she told me she had sparred with Mr. Turner and, despite her lack of knowledge with sword-fighting, won.