VIII - I'm sorry....

James Norrington POV
As happy as I am with my newly betroth, Maria Swann.. that happiness has to come to an end.. "Commodore Norrington, are you certain about this? you've only─ recently just got engage to my daughter.. she will be devastated when she learns that you have left." Governor Swann questions as I prepare myself to leave. "it was my responsibility to give justice to that unruly pirate.. but I was to either gave that filth a chance, or burden Maria with the loss of his life.. especially since that pirate had helped rescue Miss Elizabeth, I also can't help but feel a bit of gratitude.. not many know of this but... When I was a child on a voyage with my father, Admiral Lawrence Norrington, who taught me everything I needed to know about the Navy.. I fell overboard and nearly drowned to death.. But a pirate had come and saved me.. I knew I was indebted to pirate, but I was a naive child.. I thanked the pirate for saving me.. but I was soon admonished by my father and said he would rather have me drowned than be saved by pirate... That pirate resembles Sparrow, which made my decisions take a turn to free him instead of having him hanged.. if he were any related to that pirate who saved me before, then my debt has been paid in return for Sparrow's life..." I confess my past to the Governor "but still, Commodore, I see no reason for you to leave! think about my daughter!" he argues "I must do this, Governor!" I turn to him, lightly angered to more on myself than to him. "this is the only way my conscious will be cleared... I will face the consequences of my actions myself.. that way, I won't risk my men's lives on a wild goose chase with Sparrow.. a single life of a pirate isn't worth a hundred men.." I state and Governor slams his hands down on a table "and you will risk your's, AND the happiness of my daughter?! I simply cannot let you do this! I refuse your resignation!!" I had already removed my badges and had placed my long-sword back into the box that once held it.. I can only walk away now.. "I will risk my life, yes... but, Governor.. I promise--No, I vow on my father's grave, I shall return.. and I will make Maria the happiest.. Both she and I will be much happier with no more distractions, guilt, debts–..anything that will come between us.. just..... please trust me." with that, I left for the docks where a boat waits for me. Before I rowed into the open water, I glance back to my office, where I saw Governor Swann seeing me off and shaking his head in disapproval.. then to the Swann Manor where my beloved Maria sleeps.. "I'm sorry, my love... I will return.. I will come back and I vow to never let you shed another tear of anything but happiness.. I love you, my Maria.."

Maria Swann POV
I woke earlier than usual and simply just be happy. Mr. Turner proposed to Elizabeth, making her very happy. Father was a bit uncertain because of his choice of profession, but was happy that Elizabeth found love. I got myself for the day and went to the kitchen and made a batch of breakfast muffins. I couldn't help but be so excited to see James. "Morning, young miss! congratulations on you engagement with the Commodore. a perfect match, if I may be so bold to say." greets the butler and I smile at him and thanked him. After I finished baking the muffins, I placed it in basket and made way to James's office. "Maria!" father calls and I stopped and turned "where are you going so early in the morning?" he ask "I'm off to see James. I know he must have been up working till dawn again, so I planned to go and have breakfast with him." I cheerfully say but then noticed father's frown. "What's wrong, father?" I ask, setting my basket down. "...Commodor--.. Mr. Norrington resigned and left for personal reasons, he went after the pirates... alone... when he will be returning is unknown..." father says and I suddenly grew weak and fell down. "he promised me he would stay by my side.... he promised me...." I whisper to myself as my arms circle around me. I didn't realize that I was crying until I sobbed uncontrollably. "Maria.. I'm sorry.." father took me and pulled me in an embrace. "he didn't tell me anything.. or say goodbye..." I sobbed on my father's shoulder. He comforts me as I cried.. and soon, Elizabeth came and ask what's wrong and father told her.. "...next time I see him, I'm going to slap him.." she growls "Elizabeth!" father scolds "excuse me.. I suddenly feel rather ill and would like to rest in my room.." I excuse myself and ran to my chambers and just cried by my self for a while before I notice the ring on my finger glittering. I brought it closer to my face and smiled slightly.. "He will come back.. He promised me.." I said to myself as I wipe the tears in my eyes.. "..He promised me..and I will have him back one way or another..."