Chapter 3: Your Future

1 MONTH LATER.

I awaken to the sound of Yoongi's commanding voice. As usual, my alarm forces me up; The Rise of Bangtan by BTS. The scent of the air is quite different today. It smells like rain. It's raining in the middle of July.

Rain according to Wikipedia is liquid water in the form of droplets that have condensed from atmospheric water vapor and then precipitated - that is, become heavy enough to fall under gravity.

I hate the rain. Bad memories come rushing back whenever I hear the unsteady rhythm of falling rain. It's not nostalgia. Neither is it being pessimistic. I know, they say that you can't have rainbows without a little rain. I might as well live my life without rainbows then.

"You're just jealous because of how raindrops are very brave. They fall without regret and then leave as fast, disappearing without a trace. Never forget."

And I remember all the awful things that happened to me, happened when it was raining.
I cringe at the thought. What could be waiting for me today?

Just then Elsa bursts through the door. "Papapapapapapapappa. Gew moonin" she happily greets. "You have mail Mics. Here, open it." Taking the package I say, "Keep calm. You're going to wake Nanay up."

Satansoo. You just had to do something. Uggggh.

She sits across me and observes me as I open the package. I find a few essential supplies (shampoo, conditioner, cookies and the like). I also find a big, long, white envelope.

Oh God, no. Like the girl in Scream, I am shocked af.

Before opening the envelope, "Uhm. Elsa, could you not stare at me like that? I swear my skin is going to melt any second now."

"But I'm curious. It's unusual for you to be receiving packages other than the start of semesters."

"Wow, you are a stalker!" I jokingly hit her and push her outside, locking the door after.

Soon I sit and examine the mail. Inside the envelope, I find thick documents, two plane tickets with my name on them. One, to Manila. The other one, to the US. They have dates on them.

I cover my face as I remember the conversation me and my mom had that day.

BANG, BANG, BANG.

"Unnie, Mics! Open the door; I'm going to be late at this rate." Elsa pleads.

A few days more, huh? I better make this count or else I'll regret it.
Sorry Elsa. I'm going to have to tell you later. You might change my mind.

FLASHBACK.

My fingers rushed to dial the mobile number I knew by heart. It rang for 10 seconds before she picked it up. Taking a breath before saying a single word.

"Ma? May problema po ba?" I asked her if there was any problem.

"Micah, may importante akong sasabihin sa'yo. I'm sure, masisiyahan ka nang husto!" (Micah, I have something important to tell you. I'm sure, it'll make you really happy.) My mom cheerfully replied.

"Ommo. What is it, Ma? Are you letting me marry Gragon? Or is it Kyungsoo? It's okay, Ma. I might even just settle for Mark Tuan. ㅋㅋㅋ"

Laughing so hard at my ridiculous thought, I think I must've lost my mind studying a medical science course, working and delving into the dark side. She must be used to her daughter saying such stuffs anyway, she won't mind.