Prologue

Music flowed through the air while people laughed and danced. The gentle sway of the ocean could be heard in the wind as it swirls around the dancing figures. Scents of fresh fruits, rum, the salty sea and roasted meats were carried around the village, enticing all beings to come and investigate.

One of those people stood out, a young man that nobody knew by name but most Islanders have seen so far. They knew he only came out at night to join the celebrations of their village. Nobody knew where he came from and nobody knew where he left off to.

One of the fathers glanced at the town's center and saw his daughter in the hands of the unknown boy. Yet he didn't feel inclined to step in; he knew that Orion was harmless.

Even more so, he had heard from several other fathers that the boy was always very polite, never pushed any of the women further then what was allowed. He only asked them for a dance and a bit of their time; nothing more, nothing less.

Which was more than what could be said from most of the islanders, guiding women to dark corners, groping one another under the cover of darkness. It was frowned upon but the woman hardly had any say in it, unless one of her relatives protested.

He chuckled as he saw his daughter's dazed look. The poor girl was painfully shy and had always kept to the sidelines of the parties. Always ignored, never the center of attention. A delicate flower just waiting to blossom. That was until Orion invited her to a dance.

Now his girl is glowing, absorbing the well need attention and laughing as she spun around in a circle. Judging from the jealous look of one of the boys, Orion was proving to loosen some feelings. And as the boy stepped up and ask after the young maidens hand, the stranger easily stepped away.

Nobody knew but everyone guessed that it was Orion's purpose. Every time he picked someone to dance, it seems that the ladies grew more confidence, basking in the attention and showing others what they were missing.

He stirred jealousy and prodded the men unconsciously to take action before their women were snatched away by the charming young man. However, Orion never laid with any of his dance partners, nor has he touched them inappropriately or tried to steal a kiss.

That's why nobody intervened when Orion danced off into the night, his contagious laughter swirling around them. When Orion crossed glances with the young maiden's father, they shared a knowing look before the father lowered his head with respect and thanks.

Orion could only smile brightly before swirling around a dancing couple, this time snatching a young lad against his hips. Everyone could see the youngster blush furiously, could hear his stutters until he sagged and relaxed in Orion's firm yet gentle hold.

It was a few hours later that Orion stopped dancing and instead chose to take a walk along the beach. His skin was glistening with sweat, the moon light glinting of the tanned surface before he slipped into the darkness.

Orion glanced over his shoulder, making sure none of the blushing women or young lads followed him. He might be very proper but he had some very improper offers throughout the night. It was time to disappear before one of the youngsters started feeling him up.

He chuckled slightly, backing up as a couple of fireflies swirled around him, nearly bumping in his face. "Excuse you guys." He laughed, coughing and waving his hand in front of his face to chase the little bugs away.

They gleamed in the darkness and lit his path, dipping lower over the sand and showing where the ocean caressed the land. Even the ocean and earth were intertwined in an endless dance of pull and push, give and take.