Splash

--- Cain's POV---

Orion was quiet today. It has been a few days since I told him my past and I tried to talk to him as much as I could. Each little snippet of information he slipped, I stored away in my mind. To be honest, I was quite jealous of him.

How would it feel to be a Siren? To roam the ocean wherever you wanted to go, with no laws to stop you? Nobody threatening to enslave or murder you when they have the chance? I glanced back at him before frowning when I remembered his education on Mermaids.

In truth, he wasn't that free though. Even though he had the entire ocean, even the land to explore, he was never truly free and truly safe. Mermaids couldn't transform but Sirens couldn't spend their lives on land, as they would wilt away and die.

To be hunted down when spotted until you were dead or broke pursuit by getting on land... It rather seemed an awful life. Always looking over your shoulder, always having to be on the lookout...

I looked back at Orion, frowning when my eyes flitted over his form. Even though he was eating the meals that were provided to him and drank the seawater we offered, he looked pale. Pale and skinnier than when we first met.

Sirens aren't meant to be caged...

A troubled sigh escaped me as I pushed open the door, feeling Orion's eyes on my back. I couldn't risk losing him, but if I kept him caged, I would slowly kill him. He looked at me with a frown, eyes wandering to the door and back to me when I didn't leave the room.

"You can go out, if you like. Even go and swim. All I ask is for you to return...you're not my prisoner, certainly not my slave." I sneered at the word before shaking my head. As powerful as I was, whatever lethal reputation I managed to gather up throughout the years on sea...

This pretty little thing could easily kill me.

Orion frowned, slowly pushing himself off of the bed. "How would I know you wouldn't send one of your men after me?" I chuckled humorlessly, guiding him outside as he gathered the attention of the men by his mere presence.

"Most of these rats don't know how to swim in the first place. If I were to send them after you, I'd send them to their watery graves." Orion blinked, eyes widened as if shocked that only three of the crew aboard could swim, myself excluded.

"What do you guys do if you fall overboard then?" The siren wondered as I waved the men off, though Archer walked closer and answered for me. "Drown. Very few can or are willing to learn how to swim due to superstition. Most captains aren't happy to have crew onboard who can swim though, undermines their authority."

When Orion just cutely frowned in confusion, I added, "Say that we're running out of supplies or we managed to get a big heist. A pirate that can swim could grab more than his share and swim for land when we're near it."

He nodded at that, tilting his head slightly while his eyes flitted to the men. It was clear that he hadn't expected this information, most likely assumed I would've kept it to myself.

But what was the point? Even if all crew knew how to swim, what chances did they stand against a siren? Orion walked closer to the edge of the boat, glancing up when some men drew their swords but were quickly waved off.

"What makes you think I'd come back?" He asked defiantly, eyes piercing as he held onto the banister, as if preparing to vault himself over it if need be. I sighed deeply and scratched at my neck.

"You could've escaped a long while ago, if what you said was true. After all, you could've easily controlled us with your song, forcing me to let you go. I'd rather give you the choice and can only hope for your return. I'd rather not see you wilt away just because I'm too afraid to give you the freedom you need."