Partial trust

--- Orion's POV---

The sea was rowdier today; dark grey skies chased off the white clouds in the distance, waves crashing roughly against the hull. Forks of lightning flashed in the distance, causing the men to draw up their shoulders warily.

Already they were up in the mast, unfolding sails as they hoped to outrun the storm. I already knew we would; the wind was slightly warm, not filled with the bitter damp cold of an approaching storm.

Instead of telling them so, I simply gazed at the churning surface of the water with a wistful sigh. My eyes closed as the waves rushed up, the spray doing wonders on my skin. I could sense eyes on me and blinked to the right, yet Cain wasn't at all ashamed at being caught looking.

He simply had that content glint in his eyes, belying the stern expression on his face as he ordered his men around. I could tell he was happy I stuck around, even though I didn't have much choice, with the merfolk lurking in the depths.

I knew they were still there, a few stragglers that remained and hoped I was caught off guard. I desperately wished to be able to jump into the water and swim. But I wasn't foolish enough to jump right into their jaws.

Instead I stood here, staring wistfully at the water and hoped they'd be bored soon enough. Seeing how one of them was starving, they should leave soon enough if they didn't wish to perish.

Then again, the idea of having the juiciest flesh they could ever have, right within their reach... I shivered and brushed over my arms, averting my gaze from the sea. The pirates were rowdy and loud, working around the ship and sometimes even busting in song.

I blinked in wonder, glancing at Cain, who smirked and shook his head at my stunned look. "Sailing is tough work, especially for pirates as we work around the clock and hardly head for land. The lads sing to lighten the mood and lower the workload as they jump in pace." He explained calmly as I observed his men.

And just as he said, the men heaved and pulled at the ropes of the sails completely in tune to the song. They were smirking, belting out the lyrics of the dubious and sometimes insinuating songs.

"I...I knew that much... I just thought..." I didn't continue and Cain smirked, baring his white teeth in an amused grin. "You thought only honest working sailors used them songs?" I nodded, feeling my cheeks heat slightly before the pirates started on another song full of innuendos, making me wonder if they were actually singing about a ship...or a woman.

At one point I was sure they were actually referring to a woman but when the lyrics changed, it made it sound as if they were talking about the ship itself. I glanced in confusion at Cain and blushed even more as he was smirking darkly.

Plus, the lewd grins on the men's faces when they sang of storing cargo down the front or down the back made me shiver and look back to the sea.

Perhaps they sing of both, mentioning the ship on one moment while they think of the woman.

I jolted when Cain's voice rumbled behind me, only to blink rapidly and follow his gaze as he shouted at the crow's-nest, "Any Merfolk still chasing us?" Unconsciously I leaned forwards, hands clenching the wooden banister as the barrel-man looked around, one foot on the nest and the other on the ropes to lean over as far as he could.

"All clear Cap' Tn! Not a fin to be seen!"

Happiness bubbled in my chest as I glanced hopefully at Cain, who simply nodded with his stern expression. From what I've seen so far, he rarely ever smiled genuinely, either smirked or kept his stern expression.