You Can't Do That *Connor*

"C'mon Eva. You can't give up," I say. Eva has her arms crossed, giving the algebra book a death glare.

"Can to. Who even uses this stuff?" Eva says. She has a point.

"Math teachers. Us, students. Aliens," I say. Eva glares at me then she starts laughing. "I think it's time for a break. What do you think?"

"Can we get food? I'm hungry," Eva says, falling onto her book.

"Well, it is time for dinner. I guess I'll order the pizza now," I say. While I call the Pizza Hut, Eva lays on her back and flings her pencil into the air repeatedly. "Hi, I would like to order a pizza."

"Okay. Size and toppings?" the worker says.

"Medium, cheese- Ow!" I rub my forehead. Eva's pencil hit me right above my left eye. "Sorry."

"It's okay. Pick up or delivery?" the worker says. Eva is snickering and reaches for her pencil.

"Delivery," I say and tell him my address.

"Okay. 20 minutes," the worker says. I say an okay and hang up.

"And now we wait," I say. Eva sits up.

"You have pretty blue eyes," she says. I blush and look away. How does she always manage to make me blush? No one has ever done that except for embarrassing family members. We've all had that happen to us, don't lie.

"Uh, thanks," I mumble.

"Well now I can't seem them." Eva moves my algebra book away and sits in front of me. I try to scoot away but she grabbed my chin and made me looks at her. I don't think I've ever blushed this bad in my life. I squeeze my eyes shut and Eva starts whining. "Why are you being so difficult? Stop it!" Eva lets go of my face. I wait a few minutes before I open my eyes, which was a mistake.

I scream and jump back. Right in front of my face was Eva. She grins and waves a little.

"Eva! What are you doing?" I say.

"You wouldn't open your eyes and now your eyes are wide open. My idea worked pretty well if I do say so myself," Eva says proudly.

"Let's just go downstairs," I say and stand up. Eva stands up too, rearranging her wings on her back. I switch off the light but there was still light in the room. A pink light. I turn around and suck in a breath. Eva is glowing faintly with a pink light outlining her. "Y-you're..."

"Glowing? Yeah, my aurora gives off light in the darkness. I haven't quite learned how to master that yet," she says nervously. "Two more years left of training."

"But it's so..." I'm really at a loss for words here.

"Distracting? Annoying? An inconvenience?" Eva asks.

I shake my head. "No. Beautiful." Eva smiles and blushes. "Why didn't I notice last night?"

"No idea. You were really tired," Eva says. I can't seem to take my eyes off of her and I'm sure I look like an idiot. Eva blushes again and turns my head so I can't look at her. "Stop. You're making me nervous."

I could have said something like "I'm making you nervous? You make me nervous all the time," but instead I say "We have like five minutes till the pizza is here. If they deliver it on time." Eva mutters something incoherent but I don't ask her to repeat it. If she wanted me to hear it, she would've spoke louder. After all, she has a really loud voice.

We walk out of my room and down the stairs. Just as I reach the bottom step, the doorbell rings. Well that was fast. I turn to Eva and I find that she is biting her bottom lip. I wonder what she's thinking about.

"I'll just get the door real quick," I say. Then I remember I have to grab money. I walk to the shelf in the living room and pull out a twenty dollar bill out of a jar.

"I'm gonna head outside to stretch my wings," Eva says, pointing to the backdoor. I nod my head. I'm half tempted to watch her walk away but the doorbell keeps ringing. I rush to the door and pull it open. A guy in his mid twenties is holding a pizza box.

"Hey. You the only one home?" the man asks. I shake my head.

"My friend's in the backyard. My parents just went to the dollar store. They should be back soon," I say. The man nods. I don't trust people who ask that question so that's my go to story.

"Well, that'll be ten dollars." I hand him the twenty and he hands me the pizza. He gives me ten back. "Have a good night."

"You too," I say before shutting the door. I put the ten dollars in the jar and walk into the kitchen. After putting the pizza box on the table, I walk over to the backdoor. It's wide open. Eva is sitting down in the middle of the yard. She's staring up at the stars.

I walk down the steps and sit next to her. She doesn't take her eyes off the stars. I look up too. The stars are twinkling, dotting the night sky. Tonight, the moon is full and glowing brightly. The night air was actually warm. Last night, it was cool.

"You okay?" I ask quietly. Eva takes a little bit to reply.

"Yeah. I guess I'm just a little homesick. I've never been away from home before so this is new for me," she says. Then she sighs and it's full of sadness. "But this isn't about me. It's about you. I'm here to help. Anything you need, I'll provide."

"Eva?" I ask although I know she's listening.

"Yeah Connor?" she asks.

"You can come to me if something's wrong. I'll be here for you like you are for me," I say. Eva looks at me and smiles.

"Thanks," she says.

"Have you met Jessica?" I ask. Immediately, Eva scowls.

"I do not like that chick. She tried to say I was going to the loony bin when I didn't even say anything to her. So I told her that if she said that to me again, I'll deposit her in the dumpster," Eva says and I can't help but laugh.

"I told her a pig had more feelings than her. She got mad at me," I say.

"Serves her right." Eva laughs.

"Let's go inside before the pizza is cold," I say and stand up. I reach out a hand to help Eva up. Her hand feels cold against mine. "You're hands are cold."

"They usually are. That's the coldest part of my body," Eva says. I keep her hand in mine as I pull her inside the kitchen. "By the way, remember how I said Oreos were heaven earlier?" Eva nods. "Well, I may have lied. Pizza is heaven."

"I told you not to lie to me," Eva says but I can tell she's only joking.

"What can I say? I'm a rebel," I say. Eva rolls her eyes and pushes my shoulder.

Eva's reaction to having pizza was priceless. Her eyes were wide and she started flying around the kitchen, saying things about how angels were missing out. Well, she isn't wrong. Pizza is amazing. I finally got her to settle down when her wings were creating breezes that were knocking over things on the counters.

I picked everything up and pushed Eva up to my room before my parents got home. I told her I would be right back, that I had to greet my parents first. When I came back up, I didn't expect her to be asleep on my bed. But I just smiled and covered her with the blanket. It was a good day.