Meltdowns and Oreos *Eva*

"No! I don't want to go anymore! I won't!" I scream.

"Shhh Eva, sweetheart, calm down. Please be quiet. My parents are home," Connor says, rubbing my arm. I forgot that his mom- it's weird thinking of her like that but after what happened with Connor I have to kind of have to lighten up- came home today.

"Sorry," I mutter. "I'm just gonna go stay with Belle for a bit."

"What?" Connor asks in disbelief. "No, please don't do that."

"I don't want to disrupt anything with your house," I say. Connor pulls me underneath a tree in his front yard. He holds me by the shoulders.

"What happened today?" he asks. "You know that I don't mind whatever you do. Well, most things you do that is but there's something wrong."

"I don't want to talk about it," I mumble, not meeting his eyes. Even thinking about it puts me on the verge of tears.

"You have to tell me," he says gently. Can a voice be gentle? I believe so. "Not right at this moment but at some point tonight."

"I really-" I can't finish my sentence over the lump in my throat.

"Shh," Connor murmurs, pulling me against his chest. I rub my face into his shoulder. His hand plays with my ponytail. "You're okay."

"I don't know," I mumble. I lift my head up and rest my chin on his shoulder. "Of course, I'm okay. Just," I sigh, "just a little upset."

"Let's go inside and talk," he says, lightly grabbing my arm and pulling me toward the house. Up the steps and on through the front door. "Eva's here! We're going to study in the entertainment room!"

"That's so studying!" his dad shouts in reply. Someone says something. Then his dad shouts, "Your mom wants to meet her properly."

"You okay enough to meet my mom?" Connor says quietly enough so his parents don't hear. I nod my head. Nothing can beat Jessica's little rodent posse. Too harsh? I don't care.

Connor drops his backpack on the first step of the stairs. He takes mine off my shoulder and places it beside his. Then he takes my hand and leads me into the kitchen. His mom and dad are sitting at the kitchen table. His mom looks tired but otherwise alright. His dad has a newspaper laid out in front of him while tapping a pencil repeatedly against the table. Honestly, that is going to be really annoying fast.

"Hi mom. This is Eva," Connor says, nodding his head at me. I smile a little nervously and give a slight wave.

"I'm sorry about barging in here the other day," I say. Mrs. Blake waves her hand at me, smiling.

"That's okay sweetie. I've...I've realized my mistake that day. I've already apologized to Connor," Mrs. Blake says. I like this change in her. It's true a smile really can make a person more beautiful. The scowl made her look evil and cruel. Now, she just looks like a beautiful woman.

"I'm glad you're alright," I say, smiling back at her. When I look over at Connor, he's staring at me with a shocked expression but shakes his head quickly and smiles. Weird much?

"Well, like I said, studying. Lots of studying but before we do that, I'm grabbing Oreos," Connor says. He lets go of my hand and rushes to the cupboard. He grabs the pack of Oreos.

"Handful, isn't he?" Mr. Blake says.

"You have no idea," I say in my mind. Out loud, I say "Sure is."

"Hey, don't talk about me like I'm not here." Connor pouts, holding the Oreo package to his chest. Mr. Blake laughs. He finally stopped tapping the table with his pencil. I thought I was going to break that thing in half.