Things Go Bad *Eva*

"Eva. Eva, wake up! We're going to be late!" Connor says, panicking. I groan and rub my eyes.

"Can I skip?" I ask. My throat feels scratchy and the sunlight is blinding.

"No! I go, you go," Connor says. Something falls and he groans in frustration. "Did you want to go shopping yesterday? I guess we never did that."

"Yeah but I can just go after school. For now, I guess this counts as an emergency," I say, sitting up. I manage to open my eyes, squinting at first and then my eyes adjust. I snap my fingers and my hair puts itself into a braid and my clothes change from jeans and a jersey to a floral skirt matched with a pink shirt. I stand up from the bed and my shoes appear. My black and gold high tops from yesterday.

"A little girlier than yesterday?" Connor asks, picking up all his school stuff and putting it back into his backpack.

"Yeah, I guess but something seems off..." I say, tilting my head. I change the black on my high tops to white. "That's better."

"I don't get you." Connor chuckles a little. "I'll be downstairs. Meet you outside?" I nod and he leaves the room.

I grab my bag and climb onto the roof. I'm so glad this skirt isn't tight and there's no one watching me. I jump from the roof and beat my wings to land softly on the ground. I walk to the edge of the sidewalk. A minute passes and I start to get bored. What's taking Connor so long? Someone in the house starts screaming. It sounded like the mother. I really can't stand her.

After a few more seconds, I can't take it anymore and walk in the front door. The screaming was coming from the kitchen. Something about money. I peek inside. Connor's mom is screaming at him and Connor is standing there, red faced. I'm not allowing this to happen on my watch. Connor doesn't need this. Nobody needs this.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?" I yell, walking into the kitchen. Connor turns around and stares at me with wide eyes. Connor's mom looks shocked which caused me to feel a little satisfaction. "Why are you yelling at him? Because of money? Is that what I heard?"

"Who the heck are you?" the mother, that's how I'm going to refer to her as, asks.

"Someone who knows when to stop blaming someone for everything. Especially Connor. He did nothing wrong," I say. I grab Connor's arm and pull him out of the kitchen before anyone can move. I seen Connor's dad sitting at the kitchen table, stunned.

"Get back here!" the mother screams.

"Over my dead body! Learn some respect towards your son!" I yell back. I pull Connor out of the already open front door and he slams it shut. "Why was she yelling at you?"

"Because of the money I spent yesterday," Connor says quietly. "We're so going to be late."

"Hey, don't be upset. It's nothing to worry about. And we won't be late. C'mon," I say. This time, I take his hand and lead him down the steps. "Do not let go of my hand. Whatever you do."

"What are you-" he doesn't get to finish because I start flying, lifting him off the ground with me. I take off towards the school. I'm proud to say it only took a minute to get there. I drop us down in the school yard, behind a huge oak tree. "Eva, what if someone saw us?"

"You just went flying for the first time and all you said was what if someone saw us?" I say, mocking Connor from yesterday. "Don't worry, I only drop down when I'm sure no one is watching. This angel knows her stuff."

"Positive?" he asks. There's this one piece of hair that's sticking up on his head. It's really distracting me. I smooth it back down with my hand. It stays in place.