A Day at the Library *Connor*

"Eva, we have a purpose here. Let's go," I say, trying to get Eva away from the young adult section at the library.

"Connor! There's so many books. Oh! Look at this!" Eva giddily squeals and grabs a book off the shelf. "It's such a pretty blue."

"Unless you want to cry, I suggest you put down The Fault in Our Stars. Just a suggestion," I say. Eva frowns but puts the book back. "C'mon. I want you to see how our history is told."

"I still don't get the point of this. The Council would never lie," Eva says with crossed arms. "I think you're delusional. Want to make me hate my old life, yeah?"

"No. We've been through this. I just want to show you two point of views," I say, suppressing an eye roll. She's so stubborn. "You can pick what you want to believe in the end."

"I'd call you stupid but speaking only the truth forbids me," Eva says. Being fed up with her, I grab her arm and pull her along with me.

I wound our way up the winding staircase to the historic section of the library. I might've lied to Eva and said we could check out the books here and see what she likes. There's always later. Right now, I really want to show her the truth behind the Greek princess's death. I'm not asking her to break any rules.

"Here we are," I say. Eva huffs, obviously completely peeved off that I lied to her. She keeps sending me death glares and her wings are outstretched. I've never seen them like that. "Don't be like that. You wouldn't have come any other way."

"Obviously not. This is seriously pointless. Ever think your government lied to you?" Eva says.

"Of course. That's why I'm not afraid to look at other things," I say. With a final huff, Eva uncrossed her arms and starts wandering around the shelves.

I head to the nearest shelf, looking for a book on Greek tragedies. Tragedies as in deaths. When I found it, I didn't realize how big the book would be. Honestly I should've seen it coming. There's a lot of important deaths or semi important in Greece.

"Eva!" I call out. The only response I get is dead air. After a few seconds, I hear footsteps and Eva sits in the chair beside me. I flip through the pages until I find the one I'm looking for. The death of Princess Ambrosia. I move the book in front of Eva and point to the page.

"You want me to read it?" she asks. I nod and she rolls her eyes before reading. "Blah blah blah. Princess Ambrosia died by hanging herself, as historians say. Many think that she killed herself when a young guard rejected her. They found her diary," Eva looks up at me. "That's quite impossible. The castle burned along with everything in it."

"Eva, I've seen her diary. In picture form at least and it's quite real," I say. "The castle burned, not the garden where she buried her diary in a chest."

"Maybe she was lying," Eva says, now sounding unsure.

"Why would she lie to herself?" I ask. Eva shakes her head.

"What was the name of that guard?" Eva asks.

"Pyrrhos," I say. Eva's face pales a little bit.

"I don't believe it," Eva mumbles, shaking her head repeatedly. "Why would they lie to me? To all of us?"

"They didn't want you to know the truth. I don't know their reason though," I say. Eva buries her head on her hands and let's out a groan.

"If they lied about that, what else have they lied about?" Eva asks. I don't have an answer for her so I keep quiet. As she mumbles things about lies and how this is even possible, which it shouldn't be if angels can't lie, I watch as a feather slips from her wings and floats toward the ground.