Chapter 20

My back was against the purple and black patterned back seat of Valerie’s MINI Cooper.  Her body was on top of mine, wrapped in my arms.  Our heads wiggled from side to side and up and down, conjoined by our mouths. 

“You’re so intense,” Valerie said, her breathing rapid.  “Draining from Tyler was like sucking water out of wood.”

Ugh, did she have to bring him up?

“I can’t imagine him having many emotions,” I replied, unsure how else to respond.  Maybe an awkward “thank you” would have sufficed.

Valerie shrugged.  “That’s unimportant.  I want to focus on you.”

Before I could give another retort, her tongue returned to probing my mouth.

Nice save.

More saliva exchanged, more groping, more whiffs of her designer fragrance and waving my hand through her hair.

Valerie came up for air, taking it in deeply, and then blowing it back out in my face.  It had just a hint of cinnamon from the gum she chewed before we started.  Valerie placed her head on my chest to signify she was finished.  I kissed her forehead.

We lay there, inhaling the artificial automobile air in silence.  I always wondered what it was like for her to be full after draining me.  Perhaps she never was “full,” in the human sense of the word.  Maybe she drained until her thirst was quenched and forgot all about until the next pang of desire came.  Maybe it was the same with humans and we were never “full” either. 

Valerie lifted her head up and commanded my gaze.

“Did I tell you I was on Prom committee?”

“Yeah, I think you mentioned it before.”

She stared at me a little while longer.  She continued, “well, the chairperson is really behind.  Prom is three weeks away, so I was asked to be the assistant chair.”

I wondered if she was asked or if she volunteered herself.

“Oh, congrats.”

“Don’t congratulate me yet.  It’s going to take a lot of work to get this thing turned around.  They haven’t even sent out invitations yet.”

“So you’re the kind of assistant that ends of doing all the work?  Why don’t they just fire the current chair?”

“It’s Harmony Turner.  She’s tried really hard, she’s just not good at leading.  Allowing her to stay chairperson would be a nice thing to do.”

There was silence.  I racked my brain thinking of something to say. 

“Well, if there’s anyone who can handle it, it’s you, Val.”

“Yeah.”  She waved her hand on my chest. “It’s just we won’t be able to hang out right after school for a while.”

About twice a week, after school, we’d skip the library and make out in the back of her car.  As much as I loved breathing Valerie in, I was more concerned for her, since the physical contact was how she acquired her sustenance.

“It’s fine.  We still have weekends,” I offered.  “Speaking of which, want to go somewhere special this Saturday?”

“Um, maybe.  Let me check to make sure I don’t have anything else going on.”

Seriously?  Like what?

“So, I already have my prom dress,” she said abruptly.  “It’s red and the top is kind of like a corset.”