XXIX

Arturia shot her head to the right when she heard the door clicking  open

     Arturia shot her head to the right when she heard the door clicking open. Her eyes slowly opened, "Diarmuid?" Her voice came as a soft sleep-driven whisper.

     "How are you feeling, milady?" He smiled down at her as she entered the room.

     "My head is aching..." She mumbled, "Did you find a job in the village?"

     "Yes, I did." He gave her a bright smile, "Well, more or less a job."

     "What will you be doing?" Arturia tried her best to sit up slowly and less painfully.

     "Well, I will not be getting paid in silver or gold coins either," he began by breaking the news as he went to search for some food in his satchel.

     "Then how—"

     "I will be working for an old man, he owns a house in the hill up there and he is willing to have us stay there for the remainder of the week."

     "Wait a minute, an old man?" Arturia sighed, "Okay, thank you for trying, I know that I put you in a very hard predicament, but accepting a stranger's request to live in his house; isn't that a little too trusting?"

     "Milady, I think that you have misunderstood...He is a very sweet man, he has lost his son and his wife. He's very alone and I think that it would be a good idea if we were to join him only for a week." He had begun to cut some vegetables as he explained himself.

     She ran a hand through her hair and blinked, "I am not very convinced..."

     Diarmuid raised an eyebrow, "Would you rather have me working in a brothel?"

     "What?" She blurted as her jaw dropped and her eyes widened, "What does that mean?"

     "A brothel is where—"

     "I know what it is," she hissed as she tried to stand, "but why on earth would you work there?"

     Diarmuid bit his lower lip, "Well I know that they are oriented towards men, but if you must know; the owner made it known to me that they also served—"

     "Diarmuid, please." Arturia had her teeth clenched as she limped towards the knight, "Why were you even—? Uh, never mind, do not answer that question." She tried to hide her anger at him because there was no logical reason for her to be upset with him, "I don't want to know."

     "Milady, do not misunderstand. I was looking for a job and no one accepted me. It honestly looked like a normal café, I entered with pure and modest intentions. I did not want to be there and declined their offer when I found out that it was not a café."

     "Whatever, you need not explain your intimate life to me, it is only for you to know."

     "Milady that is not — please, milady that was not what it was. I would never—"