XXXVIII

Arturia was mounted on Lancelot's stallion, reins in her left hand  and the new sword in her right

     Arturia was mounted on Lancelot's stallion, reins in her left hand and the new sword in her right. She took a breath and she slowly pet the horse's head as she looked up at the sun and felt the weight of her chainmail. She turned back to Jeanne and saw the young woman holding the banner with the Pendragon crest.

     The Frenchwoman bit her lip and smiled, "It will be alright." They both looked back at the troop of men; there weren't many, but enough for her to feel confident.

     Arturia nodded in agreement and then led her horse ahead of the troop that she would lead into battle. She looked around for Merlin but he was nowhere to be found, then she also took note that Gilgamesh had gone missing as well. In fact, she had not seem him in the past day or so.

     She had no time to think about where the man had scurried off to for the tower bell of the city rang. They could hear it from the edge of the forest as it indicated that midday had arrived and it was time to commence the great battle.

     Arturia slowly raised the sword in her hand up to the air and then she fastened the reins around her hand. She signalled the horse to move as fast as it could and she could hear the roar of the sound of galloping horses as men followed her towards the castle. She felt odd, it was not the sensation that she would have before every battle as this one was very different—she felt ill.

     As the horses approached the walls around the castle, the main gate was lifted rapidly by a knight loyal to her and Arturia had seen the familiar scenery of her castle and the huge court. It had seemed as if they were already warned about the siege because arrows came raining down on her men and she could see all the shadows fall on the floor as if a cloud had come to cover the sun.

    The horses continued to gallop as the some men fell, but Jeanne was still holding onto the banner with no injuries and Arturia soldiered on, even after her horse would swerve and go about the raining arrows so that it would not get hit. A line of men emerged from the shadows of the castle court to barricade the oncoming soldiers.

     "Jeanne, go to your left, now!" Arturia shouted and Jeanne quickly swerved her horse so she would not hit the men head on and they would not injure her horse. Her mare leapt about and it disappeared within the crowd of men that were drawing their bows at the General's command.

     "Fire!" Arturia yelled as she dropped her hand and the first flank of the enemy was shot down by arrows. She held a shield close to her body and commanded the man to move forwards and engage in close combat.

     There was not much of a strategy; the plan was to get Arturia in the castle and before Guinevere, but now that Jeanne was missing within the crowd, it was going to be hard to distract the soldiers that were approaching like waves.

     The small troop of knights that were still loyal within the castle wore red bands around their arms and began to attack the troop of men from the back; trying to out flank them.