[1]

Tuesday, July 27th, 7:02pm | Brooklyn, NY | The Lantern Bar & Lounge

Fox had a hard time believing that this particular bar, one that had become a household name and held the number two spot on Forward Magazine's "10 Bars to Be At", was out of her favorite type of liquor. She'd had a rough day as it is, dealing with a long line at her go-to coffee shop, nearly getting run over by an idiot taxi driver, getting stuck in the backseat of a newly registered Uber driver who took an hour to navigate his way from Greenwich Village to Brooklyn, and what she really needed right now, was a glass of her favorite mixed drink that apparently, this bar couldn't mix.

It did however, explain why it was completely empty on a Tuesday afternoon with the exception of her and the bartender.

"Isn't it like, a necessity for a bar in New York to have Hennessy?" She asked him, at the same time wondering what type of wax he used to shine his bald head. She could really use some new polish for her knives at home.

"I'm sorry miss," The bartender shrugged with a thick Brooklyn accent. "I don't know what to tell ya except that we don't have it."

Honestly, it was appalling. What self-respecting bar owner would do that to their business? One that was clearly asking to die, in her opinion.

"Well, screw me with a spiked bat," She sighed dramatically. "How the hell am I supposed to get through this night without a Hennessy sidecar?"

"I could offer ya a shot of Jack Daniels," He offered nicely.

Fox gagged. "God, just hearing the name of that terrible drink gives me a hangover. Maybe I'll go with a light liquor then."

"Pick ya poison," He gestured to the array of bottles behind him.

"I'll take three shots of Patrón," She said with a dissatisfied feeling. She wasn't a fan of tequila, but she needed to down whatever was going to make her numb fastest.

She wasn't an alcoholic - not even the slightest. Alcohol just made everything better and everyone more tolerable. It allowed her to lower her guard down while still maintaining a sense of awareness to her surroundings. Many people used alcohol to calm themselves down, she used it to get herself pumped up and ready for action.

The bartender complied to her wishes by setting three shot glasses before her, pouring the liquid fire. Fox squeezed her eyes shut and downed them just as fast as he had poured.

"So, uh, what type of business do ya do that causes ya to drink like a sorority sister at a frat party on a Saturday night instead of a boring Tuesday evening?" He stared at her in awe.

Fox cleared her throat and smiled innocently. "I kill people."

The bartender choked out a laugh that bounced off the walls. "My, oh, my. That's one helluva job. You like it?"

Fox shrugged, already feeling the alcohol setting into her veins. "It pays the bills."

Lies of course. She had no bills.