The Final Epiphany

~sixty-four hours, strike 1~

"No one is going out." I repeated firmly for the umpteenth time today, running a hand through my short hair in frustration.

Aria was acting especially aggressive today. Instead of simply deciding this was a good day off for her to relax at the house, she was determined on going to her job as it was 8 in the morning. Also, another huge fight began when I forbid Bella to go to school today. She rose up early in the morning to catch the bus, and I stopped her, forgetting to tell Aria yesterday. Bella was quite ecstatic to miss school, but my sister went ballistic.

"What are you, my father? I need to go and get some sort of income in my life, for God's sake, and Bella needs to get her education. You're cancelling all of this for 'a relaxing day'? Unbelievable." Aria waved a hand in my face as if to wake me up, her hair still tangled from sleep and makeup running down her cheeks after forgetting to wipe it off yesterday.

"No one is going out!" I said again through gritted teeth, fighting the urge to shove them into a corner and stand watch.

"I thought you stopped being that stupid control freak ages ago, but it looks like I'm wrong. You don't get to tell me what is right and what is wrong, Adam Browning." My sister spat, suddenly looking a lot more terrifying than she did a few minutes ago.

Maybe three days ago I would've shrunk away from those don't-mess-with-me eyes. But now I didn't have time for this.

And you're acting like my misbehaved daughter, I thought inwardly, knowing that if my thoughts came out of my mouth I would've been strangled by now.

My phone began to ring, and I stared at the caller ID for a good few seconds before answering it. It was Lucas, who agreed to come over for extra protection against God knows what.

"When are you going to be here?" Was the first question that popped out of my mouth. I glanced worriedly at Aria, who was watching me like a hawk.

Lucas answered, but by the sound of his voice I couldn't hear anything. His voice was too low, too far away and monotone for me to hear clearly.

"What? I can't hear you," I said loudly.

"Adam..." Lucas said a little more audibly, still sounding far away and weak. "I think he's following me."

"Who?" I bolted to the door, my heart pounding. "Who, Lucas? Talk to me!"

"I don't know!" He snapped. "I could swear that someone's following me."

"Did you see them? Where are you?" I demanded, hunching my shoulders, my muscles tense.

"I'm just walking out of my house. I knew something was wrong before I left; there was a car outside that didn't budge across the street for days. When I peeked from behind the curtains I saw something move, I—" Lucas suddenly stopped talking, like a knife sliced his sentence.

"What, Lucas?" I nearly shouted, pacing around the room.

Anyone would think the line went dead, but I could hear Lucas's monstrous breathing like he was right next to me. Just before I was about to lose hope my friend cursed viscously.

"Oh my God," Lucas said in a hushed whisper. "It's coming, it's coming. Do something! Adam, help me!" His voice rose into a panicked scream, something I never heard before in my life.

"Where are you? Lucas, what is it? Lucas!" I roared, but he wasn't paying attention to me. With the phone pressed tightly against my ear I heard the heavy pounding of Lucas's footsteps as he seemingly ran. I heard the screeching of tires coming to a halt, and a car door opening.