Chapter One

"Never did I think that something so beautiful could be the reason for my death."

"TELL ME what you see

"TELL ME what you see." My father whispers his green eyes staring off into the distance, eyelids fluttering shut as he waits for my response. I cross my little hands and I squint in the direction of his gaze forcing my eyes to see something of value, but all they take in is the same old backyard of our home.

"Daddy it's just the same thing." I say, rubbing my eyes. Trying to get rid of the throbbing pain caused by hours of squinting.

"Try harder Brianna." He whispers eyes remaining shut, but voice laced with a newfound anger that makes my bottom lip tremble. I look behind me and into my house wishing mom was here to defend me. But she isn't.

I gulp and once again lay my gaze on our backyard. It's always just the backyard, nothing else. Just as I've done for the past few days since my eighth birthday, I start listing off what I see. Already knowing what's coming next. "I-I see my swing set in the corner right by the medal fence. I also see mommy's flower garden and the small apple tree right by-"

"No! No, no, no! Brianna tell me what you see!" My dad stands up eyes shooting open, a crazed look consuming his otherwise loving face. "I don't give a shit about your swings. I need you to tell me what you see!"

By now I'm crying. My little body shaking with silent sobs terrified and praying for my mom to come back home. My tears only anger him more and he grabs my wrist yanking me up with an angry "shut up!"

But I can't. I never can.

I pull against his strong grip, but he drags me off the back porch and walks me up to the swing set I mentioned before. He doesn't let go until I'm standing in front of the slide. "Look at it Brianna. Really look at it. What do you see?" He turns to me, watching my teary eyes.

His voice is softer now, but his green eyes are still wild and my wrist protests in pain from the force of his grip. "I see a slide." My answer is a small whisper, my voice cracking on the last word.

I don't see his hand coming until I feel the stinging sensation cross my cheek. I let out a startled cry as I fall to the floor, my vision becoming blurry from pain and tears. "I told you to tell me what you saw!" My dad's yell is faraway and I let out a pained sob.

***

I abruptly sit up in bed, body drenched in sweat and gasping for air. I run my shaky hands through my short hair in a weak attempt to calm myself down. It doesn't help. I pat my bed and my eyes dart around my dark room, trying in vain to convince my mind that I'm safe. Dad isn't here, he hasn't been here for years. You're fine, you're okay.