Chapter 5: Blood and Burning

The small company of rangers made it to the edge of the forest by midnight. The pale light of a full moon illuminated their passage, lighting the trees in an almost eery light. They made no sound as they advanced into the dense undergrowth, moving with a silence that only rangers could accomplish. The forest was as silent as they were, and seemed to be holding its breath, waiting for something to happen.

   Once they were all concealed in the shadows of the trees, Gerimond gestured for them to stop with a closed fist. He began going from group to group, quietly giving the men their orders. 

   Gerithor and Eldahir waited in the underbrush, nervously fidgeting as they watched the other pairs disappear into the forest one by one. After what seemed like an eternity of anxiously waiting in the darkness, Gerimond materialized from out of the darkness in front of them, and gestured for them to lean close.

   "You two are going to travel east along the edge of the tree line, towards the road," he whispered. "If you see the enemy, count troop numbers and see what they're up to. Do not engage unless you absolutely have no other choice." He looked soberly at the young Rangers. "Do not do anything reckless. I don't want anything happening to either of you. But if you think you may be spotted, make the bird call you were taught." He demonstrated, making a loud, resonating call. "If you hear that anywhere else, make your way in its direction, but do so stealthily. It means someone else is in danger." He stood up and Gerithor and Eldahir followed suit. Gerimond embraced his son, then disappeared into the forest.

    Gerithor took charge, as he usually did. Eldahir was largely content to follow Gerithor's lead, as he was a rather easygoing man and respected his friend enough to do so. Gerithor signaled to him and they both crept forward, eyes constantly scanning their surroundings. 

It seemed to Gerithor that every shadow concealed an evil-eyed foe, and every little movement made him start slightly. He had never before been this on edge... And now the forest looked entirely different to him than it had before. Darker, more foreboding. 

   After a short hike through the forest they came to the Road. It was wide, and they would be visible when they crossed. They looked down the Road in both directions, only stepping into the open once they were sure nobody was nearby. They stayed low as they sprinted across. Suddenly Gerithor stopped, holding his hand up for Eldahir to do the same. He crouched down in the middle of the road, and signaled his friend over. When Eldahir reached his side, he looked down, and an expression of horror at what Gerithor had seen played across his handsome features. 

   In the middle of the road were what appeared to be the tracks of many wargs, and beside them the crooked footprints of Orcs. The tracks were very recent, and headed south... Towards Esteldin.

   Gerithor looked up at his friend, eyes wide. Before he could open his mouth to speak though, a high pitched call echoed through the forest. One of the other Rangers was in danger! The call came from the woods to the north. 

   "What do we do??" Eldahir looked at Gerithor in panic. Gerithor looked back, eyes wide. He was torn. There was a chance that the orcs had not yet reached Esteldin, in which case it was possible that they had time to answer their fellow ranger's call for help. But what if they had? They would surely kill everyone in Esteldin.... Including his family. His heart constricted. He did not know what he should choose.

   He heard a cry of pain echo through the trees. He immediately got up and ran in the direction of the sound, at the moment forgetting the dilemma they were in. Eldahir followed closely behind, fitting an arrow to his bowstring. They heard the clash of steel fill the forest, and they quickened their pace. After running for a little while they came upon an area that was more sparsely populated with trees, and saw a small battle unfolding. About twenty wargs and thirty orcs were fighting the rest of the Dunedain company. One ranger already lay dead on the leaf covered forest floor.