Chapter 21: Desperation and a Plan

Gerithor ran until nightfall. By then he was exhausted, and collapsed to the ground. He couldn't cry anymore, and felt utterly broken. He lay on the ground until he fell asleep, not caring if enemies found him and killed him.
   He awoke to the touch of a hand on his shoulder. He swiftly rolled over and drew his sword, ready to strike.
   It was Sarina. She looked exhausted, and her eyes were red.
   "Gerithor! I'm so glad I found you!" She knelt down next to him and embraced him. "We were looking for you all night! We had feared you were gone!"
   Gerithor looked at her without emotion.
   "Where's Eldahir?"
   "We split up to look for you. I imagine he's not too far from here." Sarina looked at Gerithor and began to tear up. "I'm so sorry about what happened..."
   "Don't be. It's over." Gerithor cut her off, his voice void of emotion.
   At this Sarina began to cry. Gerithor looked at her and softened slightly. "I'll be alright. Don't worry about me." He put a hand on her shoulder. She hugged him and cried into his shoulder. They both sat there holding each other in the middle of the forest for a while, neither of them saying a word.
   Gerithor finally pulled away and looked at Sarina. "Will you be alright?" He asked with concern.
   Sarina brushed the tears from her face. "Will you?" She looked deeply into Gerithor's eyes.
   "I'll manage," he said, turning away and standing. "Let's find Eldahir."
   It didn't take them long to find him. He was calling Gerithor's name out every now and again as he wandered through the forest. When he saw them he ran to Gerithor.
   "I'm glad you're safe my friend," he said as they embraced.
   Gerithor simply nodded and patted Eldahir on the back. The trio slowly made their way back to Fornost.
===============================
   Caledorn approached the elf named Ariel.
   "You've done well," he said quietly. "Were it not for the Mirkwood forces we surely would have lost."
   Ariel smiled. "It is only my duty."
   Caledorn felt a smile tugging at the sides of his mouth but kept it down. "Still, it was quite impressive. I may have need of you again in the future, you've proven yourself invaluable."
   Ariel nodded and turned away.
   "Wait a moment!" Caledorn said. She turned back.
   "Have you been to Lorien of late?" He asked inquisitively.
   "Yes I have.... Why?" Ariel looked quizzically at the dark clad elf.
   "Did you see an elf there named Caledwen?"
   At this Ariel smiled. "She's your sister isn't she?" Caledorn nodded. "She is doing well, although she misses her brother."
   Hearing this pained his heart. He couldn't go back to her.... After what he'd done. He was a murderer. He looked Ariel in the eyes, his jaw quivering slightly.
   "Thank you, that's all."
   With that Ariel spun around on one heel and disappeared around a corner of the hallway.
   Caledorn pulled out his dagger and twirled it in his fingers. He had only lost it for a short time, but he felt more attached to it now. And now he wanted to see his sister. He brushed aside the thought that maybe he was becoming sentimental and strode down the hallway, dark boots clicking softly on the stone floor.
===============================
Gerithor and his friends made it back to Fornost by early morning. They were all exhausted and trod wearily up to the gates.
"Who goes there?" A Dunedain sentry called from the wall, peering down through the dawn mist.
"It's Eldahir! And Gerithor and a friend," Eldahir called up to the guard.
"Alright, I'm opening the gate!" The ranger ran over to the "gate", which was really just a thick wooden barricade they had built in the gateway, and unlatched it and pushed it open slightly.
The three companions entered and made their way towards the keep. The guard waved and wearily walked back to his post.
Halbarad quickly met them outside the keep. He looked at Gerithor with sympathy and wordlessly led them to their separate quarters. They arrived at Gerithor's room last, and before Halbarad left he turned to face Gerithor.
"I'm... Sorry about your father. He was a good man and my friend." He watched as Gerithor simply nodded, then turned and left the room.
Gerithor moved over to the simple bed that had been placed there by the Rangers, and sat down on it. He put his head in his hands and was motionless for hours.
===============================
Sarina looked over her room, noting the lack of decoration or even basic amenities. It would have to do. She pulled the quiver from her back and set it and the bow in the corner of the room. She exhaustedly pulled off her leather cuirass and fell onto the bed, immediately falling asleep.
In the room next door, Eldahir paced restlessly. Gerithor had barely spoken since they had found him. Eldahir knew the death of Gerimond had been a terrible blow to his friend. First his mother, now his father. Eldahir didn't know what he'd do without his father, and he knew Gerithor must be feeling hopeless. He paced back and forth for what seemed like days, formulating ideas in his head.
After several hours he stopped pacing. He had come up with a plan. He turned to leave his room and almost knocked Gerithor over, who was standing in the doorway.
Not waiting for Gerithor to speak, Eldahir started talking.
"Gerithor, I know everything that's happened has been terrible, and it's all one person's fault. I suggest-"
Gerithor cut him off. "I'm going to Angmar. To kill that scum. I don't care what it takes, I will kill him."
Eldahir looked at his friend in surprise. That was exactly what he was going to suggest.
"Well then, we had best hurry up and get ready!" Eldahir turned and began packing a small pouch.
"Wait. I'm doing this alone. I can't ask you to go with me." Gerithor looked at his friend, the concern evident in his eyes.
"Hah! You think I'd let you go alone? Don't be ridiculous." Eldahir continued packing.
"Listen, Eldahir. Angmar is the heart of Arnakhor's kingdom, the chances of getting to him and killing him are slim." Gerithor said, moving over to his friend and pulling him away from the pouch.
"Which is precisely why I'm not letting you go alone! Two are stronger than one." Eldahir grew serious. "I'm not letting my friend go to his death. Not alone at least. I know I can't talk you out of this so I'm not going to try. But you can't talk me out of going with you."
Gerithor let out a sigh of resignation. "Very well... We have to leave soon though. We can't let anyone else catch wind of what we're doing."
"Well you've already failed that." Gerithor spun around in surprise as Caledorn entered the room. "It is a foolish plan you know."
Gerithor narrowed his eyes. "If you don't like it, you don't have to concern yourself with it."
"I never said I do not like it... I merely said it was foolish," the elf raised an eyebrow. "Sometimes the most foolish plans are the ones that work the best."
Gerithor was slightly taken aback. One reason was because he had expected Caledorn to be completely opposed to the plan. The second was because this was the first time Gerithor had seen the elf without armor. While still intimidating, Caledorn looked much more graceful and elflike without it. Gerithor thought that he almost looked like an Elven lord.
"Then you won't tell anyone of our plan?" Gerithor looked suspiciously at the elf.
"Even more than that, I plan to accompany you! At least, part of the journey. I have urgent business that calls me to the East but our paths coincide for some distance to the north." Caledorn looked intently at Gerithor, and his piercing green eyes seemed to be looking into Gerithor's soul. Gerithor steadily looked back.
"It would be my honor to have you accompany us, Mellon nin." Gerithor felt slightly comforted that such a great fighter would be traveling with them part of the way.
"Good. I have only to put my armor on and we can be off then! Meet near the north gate." With that Caledorn melted back into the shadows of the hallway.
"Well that's a surprise," Eldahir raised an eyebrow and laughed quietly. "He doesn't look nearly as disturbing when he doesn't have his armor on."
Gerithor smiled slightly. "Are you ready to go?"
"As ready as I'll ever be to walk into the jaws of death," Eldahir quipped, throwing the pouch he had been packing over his shoulder.
Gerithor was already equipped, and they both silently left the room, careful not to make a noise. They both stopped when they reached Sarina's door. They looked at each other.
"Shouldn't we at least leave a note?" Eldahir whispered.
Gerithor looked torn. "Perhaps..." Then he shook his head. "No, then she'll probably follow us."
Eldahir nodded and reluctantly followed Gerithor down the hall.
They stopped at the door to the outside. Gerithor looked out from the keyhole for a moment, then slowly began to turn the handle. He scanned the grounds again once the door was open, then dashed to the gate, Eldahir close behind. There was no sign of Caledorn.
"I hope he gets here soo-" Gerithor stopped mid sentence. Sarina was storming toward them angrily, sword in hand. Gerithor opened his mouth to speak but she didn't give him the chance.
"You were just going to leave me, weren't you?! After all we've been through together? I cared about your father too Gerithor! I want to avenge him too!" She moved to within inches of Gerithor's face, glaring at him.
"Sarina, I-" She cut him off again.
"It's not just because of that though. I care about you too! I don't want to see you go off and die in some faraway land when I could've been there to help you!" Tears were in her eyes, and the anger in her voice turned to sadness.
Gerithor looked into her eyes. "Sarina, I understand. I just don't want to risk any more of my friends' lives to that monster."
She looked up at him. "I know Gerithor. But if I'm going to die, I want to die for someone I care about."
Gerithor looked at her with compassion. He opened his mouth to speak again when Caledorn emerged from the bushes, clad in his midnight black armor. His signature mask was lowered now though.
"We must make haste. The guard will soon be alerted to our presence." He looked at Sarina with annoyance. "Your little stunt nearly gave us away. Fortunately for us half of the guards are asleep." Without another word he sprang off through the gate.
"He's not much for explaining things, is he?" Eldahir rolled his eyes, and the three companions followed the elf into the early morning fog.