Chapter 13: Safe at Last

Gerithor stayed awake all night, keeping watch over their small camp. It was now a little before dawn. The forest was cloaked in fog, and it was dead silent. He looked out into the trees, trying to distract himself by watching small animals scamper about on the forest floor.

After a moment, he turned and looked at Sarina. She had slept soundly all night. He went over quietly and knelt down next to her, looking to make sure her burn was healing. It was still sore looking, but it was definitely better than it had been the previous night. He gently pulled the cloak up to cover her more and rose back to his feet. He moved over to Alif, who he had set a little closer to the fire to keep warm. The baby was awake and smiled at Gerithor. He picked him up and put a finger over his lips.
"Shhh, our friend is still sleeping. We wouldn't want to wake her." He pointed over to Sarina and tilted Alif so he could see her. Alif smiled bigger and looked knowingly at Gerithor, as if he understood.

He went a little ways from the camp, but still close enough to see it. It had been days now since had been able to be alone with his thoughts.

Just then Gerithor heard the sound of faint hoofbeats. His heart constricted in his chest, the feeling of fear returning to him. He ran back to camp and knelt down next to Sarina again. He shook her gently but with a sense of urgency.

She opened her eyes slowly, letting out a quiet yawn.

"It's morning already?" She asked, blinking the sleep away.

"Aye, but we have to move," Gerithor whispered. "There's a horseman in the woods."

Sarina immediately got up and threw Gerithor's cloak around herself. She followed Gerithor as he ran toward a small dip in the land. He laid down flat in the gully and she moved next to him. He put a finger to his lips and motioned for her to stay. He slowly crawled up the side of the gully and looked around. This part of the forest was less dense than the rest, so he was able to see for some distance. He heard the hoofbeats get nearer and nearer, and his heart began to beat faster. He slowly reached for an arrow, feeling the barbed feathers against his fingertips.
Suddenly, the horseman appeared from behind a tree.

He let out a sigh of relief as he recognized the rider. He smiled in delight and stood up.

"You maggot, I'm over here!" He said in a deep Orc voice. He laughed as the rider spun around on his horse, nearly falling off.

"Gerithor!" Eldahir said when he recognized him. He jumped from his horse and they embraced each other, laughing with joy.

"Why are you out here?" Gerithor said, looking at his friend.

"After the attack, I was sent to warn Rivendell. Having done that I went out looking for you! And here you are!" Eldahir clapped Gerithor on the back.

"Well you took your good old time, didn't you?" Gerithor looked his friend in mock seriousness.

"Hey now, I came as fast as I could," Eldahir said, pretending to be hurt. "Don't insult my integrity."

"Oh stop it," Gerithor laughed and tousled his friend's hair. "Sarina, it's safe to come out!"
Sarina climbed cautiously up the gully, looking out at Gerithor and his friend. She seemed to think it was safe and carried Alif over to Gerithor.

"Woah, what happened while I was gone?" He said, looking at Sarina and Alif. He looked back at Gerithor and wiggled his eyebrows, wearing a roguish grin.

"That's my nephew, you remember him." Gerithor rolled his eyes. "And this is a friend I met on the road. Sarina, meet Eldahir, a braver ranger than I," he smiled kindly at his friend.