Chapter 33: Parting of Ways

Several days had passed since the ceremony. Gerimond, Eldahir, and Raldis had all been buried in a barrow a short distance outside the ruined city, along with all the other casualties of the battle.
After the funeral the companions had mostly kept to themselves, except for Kalan who had tried his best to cheer the other two up.
Caledorn had been busy organizing parties of Rangers to go into Angmar, with the mission of freeing slaves and making sure Carn Dum was uninhabited.
Gerithor hadn't had any contact with Sarina since the funeral, but had learned from Kalan that she was leaving. Gerithor had decided he would depart as well. There was no reason to stay here any longer.
He packed what few belongings he had and put on his cloak. He went out the door and passed Caledorn on the way out, who stopped him.
"I take it you're leaving then," the elf said, looking Gerithor up and down.
"Yes, I am."
"Do you have any plans for where to go?"
"Yes. I plan to return to Rivendell to visit my nephew, and from there the Shire. I've been told Halbarad wishes to keep a tighter watch over the halflings now."
Caledorn nodded. "That sounds like a wise plan."
Gerithor looked curiously at the elf. "Where are you going from here?"
"After I finish helping here... To Mirkwood I imagine. The Woodland King oft has need of me."
Gerithor looked at the elf sadly. "Then I suppose this is where we part ways."
Caledorn raised an eyebrow. "For now perhaps. But Middle Earth is changing. And not entirely for the better. Circumstances may bring me back to the West again, or they may bring you to the east. Either way, I do not think this is the last we'll see of each other. I name you Varonwe, and Elf-friend. You will always be welcomed by my people."
"That is a very high honor," the young ranger said as he bowed. "Farewell, for now. I hope our paths cross again." Gerithor embraced Caledorn, which took the elf by surprise. He awkwardly returned the hug, and smiled slightly.
"Farewell... Mellon." The word seemed slightly foreign coming from Caledorn's lips. But then again, the smile did too.
Gerithor smiled back. "Until next we meet then."
The elf saluted and disappeared into the shadows of the hallway.
===============================
Gerithor walked until he was a little distance outside the gate. He stopped when he saw Sarina standing on the side of the road, watching him. Kalan stood a short distance down the road.
"Weren't you going to say goodbye?" Sarina said quietly. Gerithor walked over to her.
"I did not think you would care." He said simply.
"Gerithor..." She said his voice softly. "I do not hold anything against you. You are my friend and always will be."
Gerithor looked up at her in surprise, and smiled. "Thank you. You are my friend as well. Thank your for not holding my actions against me."
"You did not do anything wrong. Where are you going?" She asked.
"To Rivendell." Gerithor pointed to the east.
Sarina appeared crestfallen, and looked at her boots. "I was hoping we'd be traveling the same way, at least part of the way."
"Where are you going?" Gerithor inquired.
"To Bree... Then Gondor. Kalan said I could start a new life there."
"He's right. It will be much better for you there." Gerithor didn't show it, but his heart was breaking yet again. He'd never see her again.
She looked back up at him, her deep blue eyes meeting his. "I will miss you."
Gerithor pulled her into a tight embrace. "I will miss you too my friend."
He held her for a moment, then pulled away. Her eyes were brimming with tears. "I hope I see you again."
"As do I." Gerithor spoke softly and looked into her eyes. "I wish you all the luck in the world."
"Take care of yourself Gerithor, please?" Sarina's voice was filled with emotion.
"I will."
Just then someone cleared their throat behind Gerithor. He spun around to see Kalan, his hands on his hips.
"Aren't you going to say goodbye to me as well?" He mock glared at Gerithor.
"Of course my friend," Gerithor said, a slight smile playing across his face. "Where does your path lead you?"
"I'm going with the little lady. Someone needs to keep her safe after all." Kalan smiled kindly.
"I'm glad for that, though it saddens me to think you will be so far away as well," Gerithor said.
"Well now that you know I'll be in Gondor as well, gives you more of an incentive to visit doesn't it!" Kalan said, his eyes twinkling.
"Indeed master dwarf, that it does." Gerithor grinned and hugged the dwarf. "Please keep her safe," he said quietly.
"I will lad," the dwarf responded solemnly.
Gerithor backed away from his two companions. "Well, I suppose now we part ways. Farewell my friends. May your path be sure and your feet surer."
"This isn't farewell lad! Merely a temporary goodbye!" Kalan said optimistically.
Goodbye Gerithor," Sarina said and smiled.
Gerithor returned the smile and turned to the east, beginning his long trek. After a while he turned back. Sarina was still watching him, and waved. He waved back sadly.
He wished things could be different. He still loved her. But how could he live a normal life now? He couldn't, it was that simple. He had seen the darkness firsthand, and he wouldn't stand by to let other people suffer if he could do anything about it. She deserved a peaceful life, away from war, and death.
He looked at her for the last time, then turned away and never looked back.
He traveled until he reached the feet of the Misty Mountains. The terrain rose gradually until he was soon far above the ground he had been on before. He climbed onto an outcropping and surveyed the landscape ahead of him. The sun was setting in the west and painted the valley with bright colors. The trees were a bright orange hue, signaling in the beginning of fall.
He had been through many trials, and they had strengthened him. He had lost many of those closest to him, but now he knew loss, and what he had to do to keep the same thing from happening to others.
Middle Earth was changing, Caledorn was right. Arnakhor had been but a portent of what was to come. He did not know what lie ahead, but he did know one thing: He, the Lastborn of the Dunedain, was ready now to face it, wherever it led him.
He leapt down from the rocks with renewed determination, and began the long journey to Rivendell. One adventure was over... But there would be many more to come.